Topic

From California to Yellowstone…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips From California to Yellowstone…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sean Miner

@kromangun

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hi guys and gals,

I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone and was hoping someone can help me out a bit. I live in San Francisco and would like your recommendations on the following: (1) what city should I shoot to arrive in from SFO, (2) what's the best way to get to the park from that city without renting a car, (3) what's the best month to head out on a solo trip from March through June?

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

Sean,
    I worked in Yellowstone this past summer, so I'll offer some advice.

Anywhere that you fly into that's moderately close to Yellowstone is going to be expensive. I'd just pick a city based on where in the park you're going to concentrate your time. Bozeman, MT is only 1.5 hours or so from Gardiner, the town at the north entrance of the park. West Yellowstone, MT is at the west entrance. Jackson Hole, WY would be the city for the Tetons and south entrance. Cody, WY is 1.5 hours from the east entrance. In any case, expect flights to be from $400 to $600 unless you find a killer deal.

As far as not renting a car… well, that's a challenge. The park is huge. If you're a bike rider, you could go that route, although it can be tough riding with a lot of distance between outposts. If you want to get involved in a huge hike in the west part of the park, I guess you could just hike in, do a big loop of some sort, then come back out the same way, but that would be logistically and physically difficult. Another option that always exists is hitch-hiking. I found people to be quite friendly in general, although there's always some risk with that.

In terms of time… if you're going to go before late-May or June, know what you're getting in to. Potentially a lot of snow, quite cold temps, big storms, tons of muck in the valleys, etc. Unless you have a lot of experience with that kind of thing or are planning to stick to the somewhat warmer and drier part of the park around Mammoth, I'd discourage anything earlier than mid-May to June. Do your research as to what routes should be ok by then, i.e. not covered in deep snow, having a foot of standing water everywhere, or intersecting with stream/river crossings that would be impossible at that time.

I hope you have a great time, but plan carefully and remember that it's a huge, wild park.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools