Topic

Question about cuben kilt drawstring.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Question about cuben kilt drawstring.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

I am making a cuben rain kilt. Does anyone have a suggestion on how a drawstring would install. I am new to MYOG and would appreciate any help/suggestions. Thank you.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

James,

Read Jay Ham's article on MYOG stuff sacks and adapt his instructions for the drawstring channel in the stuff sack to your kilt project.

You must be logged in as it is members only content.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_5_yards_to_sul_part_2.html

I would assume that you just won't close up the bottom or sew up the side seam to create your kilt.

I hope that this helps.

Party On,

Newton

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Thank you Newton,

I do understand the channel and have made some stuff sacks.
    My problem is that the kilt is not a tube but a wrap. Would I permanently tie off one side and then have the other side pull through an eyelet on the front secured with a line?

Thanks again

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Sew the kilt as though you did not have a drawstring, but with an extra 1 1/2" to 2" at the top. Once everything is sewn, mark where to add a grommet and add it. Fold over the top for a channel and sew. Use a bodkin and run a cord through the channel.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

+1 for Michael's idea.

FWIW I did an image search and found this…

CloudKilt

…the drawstring appears to exit in the front using a cord lock to maintain the adjustment. From what I see in the picture the over wrapped portion is secured with a length of velcro or omni tape.

Post pictures here when you are done. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Newton, you need to add a pocket to that thing. The pocket would need to be large enough to store gumbo recipes.

–B.G.–

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

That picture helped a lot. I think I can make something happen from this info. I will post pictures when I am done. Along with the rain jacket On am very close to finishing. I am getting kind of hooked on this MYOG thing.

Thank you all

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Basic training down here must have really made an impression on you Bob!

What I don't understand is where you developed this interest in Gumbo. S O S and water don't taste like any gumbo I ever ate! LOL

You must have sweet talked your way into a 3 day pass out at West End. ;-?

Party On,

Newton

James please pardon our thread drift. ;-)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Basic training down here must have really made an impression on you Bob!"

Not Basic. I was there for Advanced Infantry Training. Before then, I had no idea what gumbo was. Well, actually, I still don't know what's in it, except that the rattlesnake meat is always served separately. S O S is quite different. Everybody who ever served in the Army learned what it was.

–B.G.–

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Bob,

Brought yo'self down here Sha and we'll show you how it be done!

Roux first, den erytin else.

L O L

Party On,

Newton

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Newton, you've lived there for so long that your middle name is probably Boudreaux.

–B.G.–

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools