Topic

We got our itinerary FIRST CHOICE!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont We got our itinerary FIRST CHOICE!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas

Crew 626-A-02 is doing Itinerary #8 We loved this itinerary because it gives us the opportunity to shoot shotguns, rifle, black powder, and archery, as well as rock climb, horse ride, fish, and catch a couple of great campfires.

From Sawmill to Comanche Peak we are planning to side-hike to Cypher's Mine

On one of our two days at Beaubien we are planning to side hike to Black Mountain Camp.

What other side-hikes would you veterans suggest for us? Is it possible to side hike Hidden Valley after picking up food at Ute Gulch (or before)?

Larry M
    BPL Member

@maethros

Locale: Mid South

My boys (Crew 621-B) picked #8 as their first choice as well, followed by 5 and 7. Lead advisor put in their picks last night, haven't heard the results, yet.

Sarah Kuhn
    BPL Member

@sckuhn

Locale: Mountainous Ohio

@ Larry – trek selection just opened this morning at 11am est….. results are immediate – might want to confirm with your lead advisor.

617-D8 from Heart of Ohio will be doing Trek #21 – start at Kit Carson Museum, up through Bear Caves & Tooth, over Baldy and into Ponil….. Virtually the same as trek #25 I did in 2010…. A very nice cross section of the entire ranch!

74 more days of conditioning…..

617-D1 got Trek 20
    617-D2 got Trek 25
    617-D3 got Trek 25
    617-D4 got Trek 27
    617-D5 got Trek 5
    617-D6 got Trek 8
    617-D7 got Trek 23
    617-D8 got Trek 21

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Sarah:

Are all your treks a Council Contingent? That's a lot of Scouts!!!

BTW, we are coming to Philmont from the NRA Whittington center and are planning to stop at Ponil on the way for Root Beer. We'll be at Ponil on 6-25… is that when your crew will be at Ponil? If so, I'd love to meet you… your posts have been a big help.

Mark

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

608-S is going on #16.

North country, 3 resupply points, no dry camps, Baldy and a section of the Valle Vidal. Good selection of activities including black powder rifles and cowboy action shooting. Haven't seen that activity before, must be new?

:)

david richardson
    BPL Member

@drichi

Locale: midwest

If you have the time Mark, side hike trail peak from Beaubien. Very interesting b29 airplane crash area. also nice view. dave

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

David,
    I agree, Trail Peak is worth the trip. But I think #8 hikes Trail Peak to their next camp so they will go there anyway.

Sarah Kuhn
    BPL Member

@sckuhn

Locale: Mountainous Ohio

Mark –
    I won't make it to Ponil until the 27th. Hopefully on the 25th I'll be looking down from the top of Baldy!!! What a view – in 2010 just as we reached the top a fighter aircraft went flying by…. below us!!!!

Only chance to cross paths would depend on when you bus out of base camp on the 27th and when we bus back in from Ponil.

Yes, we are a council contingent of 98 scouts & scouters!! Makes for some crazy planning!! (But a craziness that I LOVE for some strange reason!!)

BTW – Crater Lake had a great campfire program in 2010…. did our Wilderness pledge there as the sunset over the Tooth before the campfire!!
    crater lake
    View from Crater Lake campfire ring.

Jay L
    BPL Member

@jjlash

We also got our first choice – #21 for crew 724-F. The guys wanted some shooting and some peaks but were really excited about taking the burros…go figure.

Larry M
    BPL Member

@maethros

Locale: Mid South

My lead advisor didn't get the picks in until this morning, so we got trek 5. Of the three the boys picked, 5 was my favorite, so I'm happy.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Lots of crews getting their first choices, nice! We did as well, Trek #33.

Christopher Brooks

@brookscl

Troop 224 from Sherwood oregon (724-G-1, 724-G-2, 724-G-3) managed to get two first choices, one fourth choice. My crew will be doing itinerary 34. Plenty of mileage! 4 of our 7 crew are returning for second trip.

bill berklich
    Spectator

@berklich

Locale: Northern Mid-West

We'll be on our first choice too #20 Baldy and Valle Vidal.

Celeste Walz

@travelingchick

My crew 615D7 is on this itinerary. We are hoping to go from Comanche over Phillips to Clear Creek for black powder, and then on to Crooked Creek. We're also doing Cypher's, and over Trail peak to Crater.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools