Topic

CT in May

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Clint Lum

@clintlum91

Hi all,

Pretty quickly after finals are over with, around May 10,me and buddy and I are going to Colorado to do part of the CT. We will be on trail for around seven days and I have never done any of it. I was wondering if I could get some advice as to what sections would be good to do for that time of year and what I can expect to encounter. Also convenient resupply points and transportation services if y'all know any.

thanks,
    Clint

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

In a normal year I would say the first few sections closer to Denver or the few sections closer to Durango would be ok in May. This year may have some expanded possibilities with little snow, however, it's really too early to say. We have a storm coming today/tomorrow that will drop a foot of snow in the mountains in parts of Colorado. That type of activity in April is not uncommon and could definitely change things about your itinerary.

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

So I should probably try to have a couple of plans and just wait another couple of weeks and see what will be the best? Also I spoke with a friend of mine the other day who lives in Buena Vista and said that they are seeing dirt on 14ers around there so hopefully snow wont be an issue.

On average what temps do you guys see in the middle of May?

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

Thanks for the post! I googled CT but didnt find this site and it is very helpful.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Depends on the altitude, but just to give you an example. The normal temps for Leadville, CO (which is a little over 10,000ft) is lows in the upper 20's and highs in the low to upper 50's for the entire month of May. Normally I would really discourage anyone from doing the CT in May. But you might get lucky if we continue the recent streak of warmer than normal temps and below average precip.

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

I know that May is not ideal I just have to be back home by the 29th for class and I want to get out in the mountains for a week before that. The CT is not set in stone so I could always just look for somewhere else to I suppose but I would like to be in CO or NM

Thanks!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

New Mexico in May should be about right this year.

This route really calls to personally:

http://blisterfree.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/introducing-the-northern-new-mexico-loop-2/

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'd start with the easiest section of the CT first which is starting near Denver. You need time to get aclimatized. Don't ask me how I know.

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

Man this route looks pretty gnarly! Since I dont have that much tie I might consider doing to 130 of the CDT thanks for posting!

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

Well the sad thing is that I only have about 10 days to be on trail so I will be gettong acclimated and then heading home! But I would start in Denver area if I do decide to do part of it. Does anyone even do sections during May?

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Not many. Normally I don't go out in the same area as the first part of the CT until Memorial Day weekend. This has been a bad year for snow so it might be possible but we've got 6" since yesterday and supposed to get that again today. Sorry to root against you but with the fire danger so bad, I hope we still get a lot more spring snow.

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

I dont mind going a little further south ide rather the state be safe so dont feel bad! I will just come back in August. So you being in the Rockies where do you go in the Spring time for say a 100 mile trip?

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

So you being in the Rockies where do you go in the Spring time for say a 100 mile trip?

Utah. :) Seriously, I usually spend the early part of the season in the Lost Creek Wilderness but that starts for me in late May. Plenty of ways to connect trails for a 100 miler. It gets less snow than most places around here. Since this year was so dry I was going to try to do some of the first segments of the CT on weekends if I could. Was planning to do section 2 last weekend until the fire started. I think the access to the eastern TH was still not accessible until yesterday. Oh well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools