Topic

Need cold storage Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Adam Lippman
    Spectator

@ny700

Ok folks got kind of an off the wall issue. My wife wants to join us on a 3-4 day back packing trip. However she is still breast feeding our newborn who will be about 6mo old at the time of the trip. Pumping wont be an issue but storage of the milk for 4 days is where we are having an issue. We know she could just dispose of the milk while out on the trail but we would really not like to do that as it is such an important resource for the child.
    Im thinking dry ice maybe the answer but wondering one will it keep cold enough, and too how much would be needed for 4 days and is it then just not realistic to pack that type of weight. I do have a few larger packs that we can use and a group of 4 people going that we can ditribute the weight of the other items between. and if so any ideas on cooler layout and contruction to make it work.
    thanks

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I don't think it's realistic to try to save, personally. And,…..uh…….there's more where that's coming from. Seems silly, but that's how it is.

Dry ice would work if you were putting it frozen in a cooler, and leaving it shut for 4 days. Is it really worth the risk to your child that you might bring back something tainted? That would be the bottom line to me.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

It does seem odd that you would have to pump and store the milk for 4 days when her body can make milk on demand. But if you can reduce the amount of time for storage, you could try storing the milk buried within your sleeping bag. It worked for me for storing some pemmican bars.

Adam Lippman
    Spectator

@ny700

He major concern is simply supply issue, and as tenuouse as it has been her concern is that 3-4 days of not adding to the storage supply may leave the baby short.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I think you may be pulling our legs here. :(

But on the off chance you're actually serious, obviously you wouldn't even try to save it for all the obvious safety reasons and – as stated, "there is more where that came from," so no way you'd actually be "short."

You could also take the baby with you.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Pump and dump. It has to be frozen! Chilling isn't enough. And she is fine leaving the baby behind for 4 days while BF'ing?? Just saying…the only time I have been away from my 2 year old was when I gave birth to my 8 week baby…..she will be missing the baby and pumps that are manual/light take forever to do.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

You (realistically) can't keep it cold enough. Store up enough before the trip to have extra.

On the trip, you face a LNT question on what to do with it.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Alternatives–IMHO, based on experience with 4 children and 6 grandchildren, all but one of whom were breast fed. The one was born with severe cleft palate so couldn't nurse, and despite his mom's best efforts, pumping worked only for a few days. BTW, at age 20 he's graduating from college this spring, and thanks to multiple surgeries and speech therapy you'd never know he ever had any problems!

(1) Take the baby! Probably the best alternative!

(2) Stay home. I can understand Mom's being stir-crazy (been there, done that!), but this too shall pass! In another 6 months, it won't be a big deal.

(3) Pump and dump (in the meantime, having left enough frozen at home to keep baby going until Mom gets home).

The major problem with the last scenario is that many babies find it easier to nurse from a bottle, and after several days on the bottle they will often refuse the breast (been there, done that!). Is Mom willing to risk that? There is no way she can keep her milk supply up indefinitely by pumping! Once the baby decides that bottle (or cup, in my case) is better, the end of Mom's milk supply is in sight within a few weeks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools