Topic

Pack Advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Clint Lum

@clintlum91

Ok so here is the pickle. I am currently in the middle of switching from lightweight (just happened to be on the lighter side without ever trying to be) to UL. The next item I am replacing on the list is my pack.

Right now not including clothing worn or consumable my three season base weight is 9.9 lbs (not including pack) but that could go up a pound just from random stuff.

I had my mind made up on the GG Gorilla or Mariposa Plus but I started to re-think it and decided that I need something that was bombproof and good for all my trips whether that be summer or winter (needs to be able to hold 25-30lbs without a problem) because I cant afford to by packs from here to timbuktu.

Right now I am leaning towards the ULA Circuit or Ohm 2.0 because ULA seems to have awesome quality all the way around but the only issue for me is the Circuit is 38 oz and I know I can get lighter. And the Ohm is one the lighter side but im not sure if it would be suitable for loads that push 30 lbs even though im not sure ill ever carry that much if I do have to I dont want my pack to fail. Also Im not sure about the Ohm and bear canisters which I might need to use sometime also albeit not in the near future so thats not a huge deal.

So im just looking for some advice from you guys cause im new to the UL game.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Canister and the weight=Circuit for your ULA choice.

Can't give you any advice from the GG lineup

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

Thanks for the advice Ken do you have either the Ohm or Circuit? If so what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I've had/carried the ULA Catalyst, Circuit, Ohm and Ohm 2.0. I've carried 20-30 lbs in each. For heavier weights, the Catalyst is most comfortable, followed by the Circuit. But if most of your trips are going to be 20 or under, go with the Ohm/Ohm 2.0. Bear canisters: the Catalyst.

At this point, I use the Ohm 2.0 for three day and under, the Catalyst for longer (more food!) heavier trips.

Excellent packs!

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

If you're looking at the Circuit and carrying around 30-35 lbs max, I'd say you should definitely take a look at the Granite Gear Crown. It is super comfortable, carries a bear can well, and is quite flexible (you can remove the framesheet for lighter loads). With the framesheet, the pack is 2 lbs 2 oz. Without it, you can get it down to 1 lb 13 ounces. The hipbelt is removable as well.

Some people can't get a good fit with any of the torso sizes, but if it fits you, it's a fantastic pack. I highly recommend it.

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

Stephen thanks for the insight! Seems like the middle of those would be the Circuit which is what I am looking for at the moment! Do you think the added comfort of the Circuit relative to the Ohm is worth is extra 12ish ounces of weight?

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

Thanks Aaron. I have looked it the Crown but the only thing for me is that there are a lot of feature on the ULA packs that I really love like the hip belt pockets for example and all of the great mesh pocket space. But I will def take another look and think about it.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Only you can decide if the extra weight is worth it! They're both great packs, carry well, and I'm in love with the ULA hip belt!

I'd point out that the Ciruit's top closes with a fold-over, which protects from rain better than the Ohm's simple drawstring. I don't know if that would be a factor for you.

I've made one tweak to the Ohm to make it so I don't have to worry so much about careful packing, i.e., sharp objects poking into my back. I took a hard plastic back insert from an old daypack, trimmed it and glued it to the thin foam sheet in the Ohm's back. This was a nice improvement, and added only a couple of ounces. I suspect that if you called ULA, they would be willing to do something similar for you. They don't need to glue it for you (in fact, don't ask them to – you can do your won experimenting with and without), because a bit of silicone will glue it easily.

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

Ya that is true and the hip belt is a lot of what attracted to to ULA in the first place. I do prefer the roll top of the Circuit because of the rain as well. I just wish the features of the Circuit were at the weight of the Ohm!

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

My Circuit, a medium size torso and small size hipbelt, with a little bit of strap trimming and without any of the removable features on it, is about 29 oz. It's a great pack.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

If you can only have one pack, I'd recommend the Circuit over the Ohm. At 30 lbs, you probably won't notice the extra 12 or so oz that the Circuit weighs but you will notice it's more substantial hip belt and better load-carrying abilities. Love my Circuit…

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

Sweet thanks for the opinions, they are giving me some confidence in the Circuit I think its a great one size fits all pack. 30 lbs is out of the norm for the record most of my loads will be around the 20 lbs area so I think it will be very comfortable.

For you guys with the Circuit what are yalls three season base weights?

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I'm anywhere from 11-13 lbs without food and water. If possible, you might want to try ordering all 3 ULA packs (Ohm, Ohm 2.0, and Circuit) and try them on all loaded up in your house just to see which one fits you, your gear, and your hiking style best. ULA is good with returns – I tried out an Ohm 2.0 before settling on my Circuit.

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

That never even crossed my mind, sadly Ide have to take out a loan for that haha. But I will for sure make sure I am happy with the Circuit when I get it and if not I will send it back and try one of the Ohm's

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools