Topic

You stink, Nalgene!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) You stink, Nalgene!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

I own a couple old BPA-ridden Nalgenes, and I think Nalgene should replace any BPA bottles with new, non-BPA bottles. I know, crazy to think a company should stand by their products right? Well, I wrote the following letter Nalgene (yes, a HAND WRITTEN letter!), and its been about three weeks with no response. Makes me want to ditch them as a company, but they make great products at great prices, so Ill probably let it slide. But I will not go quietly! I plan on writing a followup letter, email, and perhaps try to call. Alls Im asking for is two, clear, 32oz HDPE bottles. They sell em for $5. So apparently, $10 is worth more than my loyalty.

"Hello, I am an avid user of Nalgene products, from the classic 32 oz bottles to the small medicine jar containers. Two of the products I own are 32 oz wide mouth bottles produced before Nalgene stopped making bottles with BPA. I would like very much to be able to trade these is for non-BPA, HPDE clear wide mouth bottles without the loop top, the ones that cost $5. I have stood by Nalgene products since I began hiking when I was nineteen years old, and I hope to continue using them in the future.

Sincerely,

Greg Petliski, customer since 2006."

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Well did you ever stop and think how long you have had those bottles? Do you not feel that they have given good service and are still functional, giving their moneys worth? How long do you think they should last? How much BPA do you think those bottles have already put into your system? Any negative results that you are aware of? Is $10 worth all the angst?

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

I thought this was going to be a thread complaining about how most Nalgene's eventually smell like mold. Blah, I hate Nalgene.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

A company makes an indusctruable product that you get years of use out of and they recall based on pretty weak evidence that BPA is harmful and you want them to replace all of them at no cost?

Really you got fair use out of them. Given that we dont know the long term behavior of these plastics should they start stamping expiry dates on them so you are aware they wont last forever.

So you have a choice to make. Be a reaonable customer or go to another company and in a few years they will disappoint ypu as well

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

You know what stinks? This:

No amount of scrubbing, soap or boiling water will get the stink out. The only thing I found that works is baking soda, and that's temporary. I wish I could get it replaced, but that company now uses cheaper plastic that cracks easily, along with lower quality manufacturing that tends to cause leaks. So if you crank on the lid to stop the leak, it'll crack, and it still stinks.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Lol, I'm gonna agree with Greg, you are being completely unreasonable.

David Ure

@familyguy

I'm just amazed people still mail letters.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

To clean and remove odor,
    Oxyclean soak, then Saniclean soak.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

I love complaining about corporations as much as the next guy, but in this case, I don't think you should get a refund on this. They had a very long *official* recall a few years ago. They replaced all bottles at the time free of charge (as did Sigg). So, they already did what you are asking, you just missed the boat.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Jon is correct, you missed the big nalgene exchange. Don't give up the fight though because there are still plenty of other products out there that use BPA – like thermal paper/cash register tape. It's all just another example of "better living through chemistry"!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

One point that has not been fully disclosed is that Nalgene containers (yes the ones loaded with BPA) cause aging.
    I have used them for the last 10 years or so (could be longer) and there is no doubt in my mind that I look now a lot older than I did then.
    Shame on you Nalgene, shame on you …
    Franco

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Gregory

We have Minors reading these Forum channels. Please moderate your language.

Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

"Don't give up the fight though because there are still plenty of other products out there that use BPA – like thermal paper/cash register tape"

I wasnt aware that register tape was edible. Oh wait, silly me, its not! I was about to believe you cuz you sound like such an expert, I mean, bringing up the fact that something no one would ever put in their bodies has BPA compared to something that will hold water, which DOES go inside of lots of peoples bodies, having BPA in it? Thats genius.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

"Do you not feel that they have given good service and are still functional, giving their moneys worth? How long do you think they should last? How much BPA do you think those bottles have already put into your system? Any negative results that you are aware of?"

Again, I'd really LOVE to see you have that same attitude if your car had a recall. I mean cmon man, you would have had a lot of use out of it, be happy!!!!!!

"Its up to YOU to buy a new car, why should we, the people who made the faulty car, pay for a new one??"

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

These threads are great for weeding out who and who not to hike with. And your comparison with a car is not really valid. We are talking about a cheap plastic container, not a complex mechanical device designed for moving people. You are unreasonable.

Will Webster

@willweb

I've got a bunch of old BPA Nalgenes; never occurred to me to ask the mfr to replace them. I got good use out of them; now I have a couple of the new style for canoe outings but I've moved on to lighter options for hiking. The old ones are great for adding weight to a pack for training, and if I ever do have to drink out of one of them the incremental risk (on top of all the other crap which goes in my body every day as part of living here and now) will be pretty close to zero. So chill; accept that you got value for your purchase and move on. Anyway, they didn't say no. Maybe when they get done giggling they'll take your bottles back.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

"We are talking about a cheap plastic container, not a complex mechanical device designed for moving people. You are unreasonable."

Pray tell then, oh wise one, which products are suitable for recalls and which arent? I dont want to be mistaken again!

So the consensus here is that Im being a cry baby, is that it? Would love to give you all something to cry about if I ever got my hands on ya (or for Will, something to giggle about).

::wait for it:: here comes the snooty Connecticut ultra-lite yuppies snickering "oh so immature, snort snort"

From the same characters who also told me no one wants to pick up other peoples garbage cuz its too much for them to carry!

Gregory

We have Minors reading these Forum channels. Please moderate your language.

Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Wow.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Gregory
    What is going to kill you before your time is up YOUR attitude in life not the minuscule possibility that you will get poisoned by BPA even if you drink from one bottle 10 times a day for the rest of your life.
    Believe it or not the fastest poison is the one you generate yourself.
    Having an aggro attitude, worrying too much about insignificant matters kills your immunity system and that will in the end get you.
    Not that I even remotely think you will get what I am saying…
    Franco

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Gregory said:

deleted

Gregory, people disagreeing is one thing. The above poster was correct…you are being unreasonable. And your responses are immature at best.

Please, take a breath, take a day away and chill.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Nice tantrum ! Really laid it down.

Nalgene will probably send you a replacement bottle, they are just a large company and it takes time.

Plus, they are probably geared to helping people via phone, or email, and aren't sure what to do with a letter.

Might as well have sent them a telegraph.

Give them 6-8 months and then try email or the phone.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

April fools

?

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

Greg, the cash register receipt is actually our highest exposure to BPA and it enters your body directly through your skin. Handling receipts on a daily basis is way worse for your health than drinking a BPA lined nalgene.

edit: woah, just read this whole thing. Holy temper tantrum!

Dave T

@davet

"These threads are great for weeding out who and who not to hike with. And your comparison with a car is not really valid. We are talking about a cheap plastic container, not a complex mechanical device designed for moving people. You are unreasonable."

Ken,

On another thread a few weeks back, I did a "note to self" not to hike with Mr. Pelitski. My thoughts on the matter have not changed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"So the consensus here is that Im being a cry baby, is that it? Would love to give you all something to cry about if I ever got my hands on ya (or for Will, something to giggle about).

::wait for it:: here comes the snooty Connecticut ultra-lite yuppies snickering "oh so immature, snort snort"

From the same characters who also told me no one wants to pick up other peoples garbage cuz its too much for them to carry!

deleted

You need to change your brand of beer, man, cuz whatever you're drinkin' right now is causing your synapses to fire in seriously erratic patterns.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools