Topic

Lost Gear in Uintas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lost Gear in Uintas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I was up near King's Peak, UT in the middle of January and found an abandoned camp. Figuring someone would soon come to retrieve their gear I left it as I found it. Yesterday (two months and change later) I was in the area again and the tent and gear were STILL there. I threw everything I could fit onto my sled on my sled and pulled it out. I was concerned with it getting ruined due to exposure or stolen if it was there much longer. I left two notes at the trailhead register and bulletin board. I wrote that I had taken the stuff for safe keeping and included my name and email address. I would like to get the gear back to the rightful owner but there is abslutely NO indication of who it may have belonged to. Anybody have an epic or some sort of terrible adventure up there and have to abandon camp? I am sure there is some story behind it. I am sorry if this is in the wrong section. Gear related? Maybe. It's lost gear and the owner was evidently NOT into ultralight backpacking.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

That happens here on the Lost Coast from time to time. First time hikers expecting a walk on the beach. Not boulders and bears. Was any of it quality gear? Or does it look like someone's first kit? Stuff found here is usually from Target or Big 5. Found a huge marine cooler full of dry blankets one time.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

It was an odd mix of Walmart type cheapo gear and high end expensive gear. I have been up in the area four times during the winter and got BELOW zero fahrenheit temps three of four of those times. I think someone may have gotten in a bit over their head there. I just can't figure why they wouldn't come back for it sooner or send someone for it. It was maybe 6-7 miles in.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

Might be interesting to call the local Sheriff's SAR team coordinator and ask if they had any searches in that area in the last few months…

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

An aussie disappeared in August:
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52434218-78/search-lake-missing-trail.html.csp

and Several hunting parties were rescued after an Oct snow storm caught them by surprise:
    http://www.vernal.com/stories/Stranded-hunters-rescued-in-Uintas,1984757

But of course that's just what I found from some googling and it may not correspond well with where you were hiking.

I would definitely recommend calling the local sheriff's office, you may help with a cold case or bring closure to a family (or just return some gear).

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

A few years ago I found an almost complete, and abandoned, camp in the Tungsten basin area of the Uintas. The camp had been there for quite a while. Any year that the snow flies early in October, you will find abandoned camps in Utah, usually from "backpack hunters". I am going to take this opportunity to point the finger at two groups, both of which I'm associated, hunters and boy scouts. In the Uintas of Utah, these two groups disproportionately leave a negative impact. I dont see this nearly as much in other states, U-tards need to get their act together, and quit making there neighbors clean up after them. While it may not have been a boyscout or a hunter that left the camp, I'm pretty sure it was a U-tard.

S- Big Thanks! for hauling all that out of there, nice job.

cole jones

@peakbagger1

So, I went to the trailhead of Henry's Fork and found a note on the register that someone named Matt had found my gear and packed it out. I was not pleased… I had this camp up there starting December 31, 2011. That is when I packed all my stuff in on sled and set up camp several miles in. I stayed for 3 days and left the tent and several items inside it. I visited the camp 5 times from January to the end of march. Sometimes staying 1 night or several. I have tried to email you about getting the stuff back with the email go left at the trailhead. have not been able to make contact. BTW, I had a glorious time staying up there this winter it was a blast.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

I have not gotten any emails about any of this stuff. Your PM's are not set up. I think anyone else in the same situation would have done much the same thing as I did. You can try again: Izeloz at hotmail. Please specify what kind of gear you left so we can get this sorted.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Seriously. Don't leave your stuff out there long term like you're saving your spot. It's not your spot. It's not LNT, and it's just bad form.

Legal issues too.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

There is no way a person would know to come to this thread on backpackinglight.com. All you left was an email. Ignore that post… that person is probably trying to scam you.

Dave T

@davet

it's like nuclear treaties…

trust, but verify.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Hey S Long,

If this tard does happen to be the owner of the equipment, and you do end up giving it back to him, I would hand it over by way of the proper forest service employees along with his post above. Then let him explain to them why he set up a camp for 3 months on forest service land and then got upset when you hiked out his trash.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I agree with Ben. Turn the stuff you packed out over to the Forest Service, explaining the circumstances. Let claimants go to the USFS. That way you can't be accused of stealing and the claimant(s) can explain their illegal permanent camp to the USFS. Above all, it gets you out of the loop of trying to verify claimants!

cole jones

@peakbagger1

Not trying to be rude. I understand forums are for anyone with an opinion. I used this high camp for training. Tried to set it up so I could still do a winter camp without the whole sled and all the gear. Run in… Run out if I have to. My work is very inconsistent and I head into the back country whenever I get the chance. Maybe bad form yes. Whatever you decide to do with the gear let me know so I can plan accordingly. There is another winter coming….. if me to verify what was there I can. I did get the little clothes that was left and the backpack with the dragonfly msr stove. Any way this works out I had an awesome winter. I already have several more trips planned for this summer. Hope to have my favorite sleeping bag back though…

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Someone left a van running with the doors open in my parking spot.

Two weeks later It was gone to a new owner.

How long did you leave it for ? It's likely not yours any longer.

cole jones

@peakbagger1

Google my friend… He also left his first name. I did a search on my phone and fou
    nd his name in about 15 seconds and the thread to this commentary….. Life is way to public if someone can be found that fast.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Well if it is his stuff he should pretty easily be able to name the brand and model of his tent, sleeping bag, etc.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

I am STILL waiting for an email from you or for you to set up your PM's on this site. I think I may just turn the stuff over to the USFS.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Cole if you are going to set up a camp, at least leave a note! That would have prevented this. In California, if I saw a camp set up for an extended period of time I would assume someone was doing something illegal.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I am STILL waiting for an email from you or for you to set up your PM's on this site.
    Troll.

Cheers

cole jones

@peakbagger1

Yup should have left a note….. live and learn

Tommy Thompson
    BPL Member

@wasser

Locale: Northern CA

Lesson not learned.

What you did was in violation of the rules of the National Forest. As Mary D posted earlier:

Prohibitions

2. Occupying, using, holding, reserving, camping or leaving any property in any general undeveloped area of National Forest Lands for more than fourteen (14) days in any thirty (30) day consecutive period. [36 CFR 261.58(a)]

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Cole, that has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever read about in the backcountry. I am scratching my head in wonderment trying to figure out your logic. That or the fact that your posts are pure BS. By the way you should be thanking the gentleman for taking such concern in making sure the gear was taken care of and that he left notes letting YOU know where it is and how to find it. In California, things would have been a tad different. Ie, bye bye no gear. ALWAYS pack out your gear. I cannot believe this.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

This is getting to be a bit of a joke. Cole, I left the note AND posted this thread to let whoever know that I found your gear, NOT to steal your stuff or anything like that. The camp had been up there for literally MONTHS and looked abandoned. I was concerned that something had happened and didn't want the gear (especially the tent) to get ruined in the elements. If I was going to steal the stuff I would have just taken it and not said a word. Yes, I would like to get it back to you. I'm not exactly sure how best to proceed. I will let you know what I figure out, but I DO want to return your gear. I have my own pile of gear and don't need anybody else's stuff and wouldn't want my stuff to end up with someone else.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools