Topic

new to steripen – questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) new to steripen – questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

So I just picked up a Steripen Adventurer Opti from REI. Only thing I could think of to use my small dividend and 20% coupon on. I'm excited to test it out this summer and have some questions.

1. Any recommendations on a good source for batteries online would be appreciated (I'm guessing prices online are better). I won't be using rechargeable batteries. I'm looking for brand name since it appears that they generally provide better battery life.

2. Do any of you users have a system for utilizing carbon to give the water a better taste when needed or do you just deal with it? The best idea I've come up with is to use my AM Frontier Pro, but I may just leave that home and deal. Any other ideas?

3. Is it still necessary to remove the batteries on trips when you're not using it? I read old reports where it was necessary. Has that problem been fixed with the newer model?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've had an Opti for about 8 months

I got batteries from amazon.com

I just scoop water out (carefully) and put into Platypus, then treat as necesary.

Water that I heat for soup, oatmeal, coffee I don't treat.

If water sits in Platypus for a while, some stuff sinks to bottom. I'm careful not to stir it up.

I haven't removed batteries.

I always carry another set of batteries because the Steripen is sort of persnickety.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I bought Panasonic from battery junction and they worked great.

I don't remove batteries.

I sleep with it in the chest pocket of my shirt.

If I leave mine outside, and use it before warm, the batteries give up very quick.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I've had good experience with Energizer Lithium CR123's. I never bother taking them out in-between trips.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 with BatteryJunction.com

I don't take my batteries out unless storing at home.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I've always had good luck with the red surefire brand batteries. Generally you can find them online for under $2 each.

Steripen does not change the taste of water.

I'll take the batteries out at the end of summer since I won't use the steripen again for probably 6 months.

Chris Wheeler
    BPL Member

@chrisw

Locale: Stratford, Ontario

Panasonic batteries work great in my Opti. One set lasted for three weeks last year in the Sierra. I did carry a spare set last year, this year I will not be carrying spare batteries. I purchased my batteries from MEC.CA in Canada.

The beauty of the Opti is it does not change the taste of your water. During my three weeks in the Sierra and trips in Canada last year I used no filter of any kind, worked great.

The Opti draws a very small current when not in use. During a trip I leave the batteries in, between trips I take out the batteries.

Ultra Violet filters have a reputation of being unreliable. Carry a backup system to process your water, I carry Chlorine Dioxide pills just in case the Opti fails. During my three weeks in the Sierra and two trips in Canada the Opti worked perfectly, and I did not need the backup. This year I will still carry Chlorine Dioxide just in case.

I keep the Opti in the foot of the sleeping bag if the temperature is expected to
    go down to freezing.

I use the UV filter with a 1/2 Litre hard Nalgene bottle, and process 1/2L of water
    at a time.

For me the Opti filter strongest feature is that water is processed very quickly, as well as being easy to use, and not changing the taste of the water. The Opti is a good piece of kit, just keep it clean and dry. It's flashlight mode saves having to carry a spare flashlight/headlamp.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Hey Jeff,

I just looked for a quality name brand battery online and found the cheapest price and bought a set. Think they were energizer. Haven't needed them yet.

No need for charcoal. At least if you are where there's fast moving water.

I just keep the plastic tab in place that it comes with from the store until I need to zap water. A nickel is a good screwdriver for opening the battery compartment. I've had good luck with my Opti and it did stop short once, so I just ran it again and it functioned correctly thereafter. Think I got mine a year ago this time at REI with my 20% off coupon as well. Probably at the same REI you did.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I was let down by rechargable batteries in cold weather so now I only use Energizer Lithiums and they have never failed me.

I also carry an Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter System (drinking straw) and some Micropur as a backup system to my Steripen. Total weight of my backup system is 1.5 oz. The drinking straw only weighs .7 oz and has a carbon filter that helps a bit if the water is skunky. In most cases, I just add powdered lemonade to the water if I don't like the taste of the water supply.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools