Topic

NE-VT/NH/NY Ideas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning NE-VT/NH/NY Ideas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan W

@mwilks

I'm a new resident of Vermont and have little knowledge of trip ideas in this locale.

I have a week off in early April and am looking for suggestions on regions, trailheads to explore.

Ideally within 5hours driving of NE Vermont
    Less people
    Not too high so I can avoid icy conditions. I can pick up some microspikes if needed.
    Possible loop or side trips would be ideal so as to avoid having to do a 2-3 day out and 2-3 day back. Shuttle is unlikely.
    Not sure what terrain/conditions and speed equation are like out here. For comparison sake 20mi Sierra days were my routine but gradschool has punished my fitness.

Ideas?

Thanks a bunch. I hope to at some point get out on a NE meetup.

Gerry Volpe

@gvolpe

Locale: Vermont

This is a crazy weather year, Tuesday I was at about 3000 feet on the Kancamangus Highway in NH's white mountiains and there was barely even patches of snow on north facing slopes. I hiked some low elevation trails over on the NH/ME border and the trails were dry as a bone, no mud to be seen. Even given the strange spring I would avoid the Long Trail because of the GMCs policies. A great area to check out would be the Pemigawasset Wilderness, Lincoln Woods trailhead in NH. There are great loops to be made over there. Low loops are possible as long as the river is fordable. You can even test out the waters on the higher terrain and go up the Bonds (great views) and look at linking the higher ridges. There are plenty of different options and bail out points. I'd consider heading over there with whatever time you have and some micro spikes and plan multiple options and see where you get. Enjoy and welcome to VT.

Ryan W

@mwilks

Thanks Gerry

Your suggestions sound great. I'll check it out.

Local trails are mostly dry here too. The skiing to hiking transition came rather quick this year!

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Once mud season is over, the Long Trail north of Mansfield is gorgeous and uncrowded (Belvidere and Laraway are highlights), but loop hikes in Vermont are pretty rare.

In general, I'd say buy yourself a copy of the Green Mountain Club's waterproof Long Trail map, and either the Appalachian Mountain Club's tyvek White Mountains map set or Map Adventures' waterproof White Mountains map. In the Whites, it'll be hard to avoid crowds anywhere, but if you stay away from the AT you'll at least have less crowds, and if you camp away from established campsites you'll be nice and alone.

Also, absolutely must do the Grafton Loop Trail. About a 40 mile loop with very rugged terrain, great views, and few crowds. More info on that here.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

NE VT is close to lots of hikes. You'd know better than me what's dry up there in early April.
    You could check the AMC conditions page or call AMC in Pinkham Notch to see what's doable in April:
    http://www.outdoors.org/recreation/tripplanner/go/backcountry-weather.cfm

I wonder if there are nice hikes in Quebec near you that are lower elevation than the White mtns? There are some interesting trails in Quebec near the northern end of the Cohos Trail. The International Appalachian Trail through Gaspe is supposed to be spectacular, but not for April.

Don't forget the Adirondacks, but also a place where winter lasts!! adk.org

The AT from Mt. graylock south would be nice in April unless we get a late snowstorm.

I think Ryan is proposing an April group hike of the Monadnock Sunapee trail which would be nice this time of year: http://www.msgtc.org/map

Ryan W

@mwilks

All really good ideas. Thanks all.

Many places to add to the ever growing list.

Although I love poring over maps, I don't have much time for trip planning these days so general ideas really help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools