Topic

Packing vs Thermos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Packing vs Thermos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That is an interesting idea. There are a couple concerns with that approach. I wonder if the heat of someof thing near the boiling point of water would damage some kinds of pads, e.g., the one I have (Pacific Outdoor Equipment Ether Thermo 6), or the container itself, or leech out undesirable chemicals into the liquid. The non-vacuum container will have some weight too – maybe around half that of an equivalent volume, relatively lightweight thermos.

Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

By the way, Kleen Kanteen now has an 12 fluid ounce thermos that weighs 8.6 ounces. REI has it for $22.95 (no reviews there yet):

http://www.rei.com/product/800093

I may get the Urban Elements .35L thermos (7.4 oz) that I mentioned earlier in this thread. If that doesn't work out, the Kleen Kanteen or the REI Bullet Bottle would probably be the next choice.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i recommend the thermos elements … no leaks and if there is just send it back to REI

used it ice climbing in -20 to -30 C weather … the pop lid works in that you dont lose much of the heat when drinking

the regular thermos would be more efficient in terms or weight though

Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

Eric, which thermos are you referring to? I don't know of anything called "thermos elements" that's sold by REI. If it works in those temperatures you mentioned it sounds interesting.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

this one but the older version …

i filled it up around 7 am … sipped from it all day and by 6 pm it was still pretty warm … this was during the cold snap last year in the rockies where the daytime temps were averaging -20 C and lower

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442633107&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696655

Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

How much does it weigh?

By the way, according to mec.ca, their listed weight of 7.4 ounces for the Urban Elements 12 oz. thermos is incorrect, and the correct weight is 300 grams (9.5 ounces).

I've spent hours looking at this. As of now, REI's 12 oz bullet bottle is the second lighest 12 oz bottle I know of that is still sold new. Weight is 9.25 ounces.

The lighest is the Kleen Kanteen, at 8.7 ounces of weight. Reviews leave me wondering how well it keeps things warm. There aren't all that many reviews.

I'm tempted to get REI's 12 oz bullet bottle, since I know the bullet bottles work well, from experience with their half liter version.

Just out of curiosity, how much did the titanium vacuum bottles weigh, and what was their volume? Did any of these have a volume in the 12-16 ounce range?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

it's 410g listed weight … so about 14.5 oz … not the lightest of course

the "lightest" per mL option would probably be a 1 L thermos … if you need a full litre in winter thats what i carry …. boil the water once and i have hot water throughout the day

whichever one you get, i suggest having a top that doesn't need to fully detach in order to pour the liquid … they key with the elements is that very little hear escapes … same with even the basic thermos, you dont need to take the top off entirely to pour the liquid into the cup

you lose quite a bit of heat this way

id worry about the performance first … and then the weight … an ounce in winter either way wont matter if it doesnt keep yr drink hot

you can buy from REI, test it in the freezer and return it if it doesnt stack up

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

Snow Peak have just launched a titanium flask.

http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=ja|en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.snowpeak.co.jp%2Fcatalog%2Fproducts%2Fdetail%2F2464

Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

What a steal .. only $221.54 USD. I wonder how effective the Snow Peak titanium thermos is at keeping heat in. I also wonder how much it weighs. The translation is unclear about what weights to add for a functioning unit.

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Only 350 mL? My own Titanium Thermos (Thermos brand) is 480 mL, weighs 254 g (empty) and 749 g (filled with water), and cost about 4,000 yen less.

As for keeping the heat in, it's kept my drinks hot all through the day (morning fill) and through the night (evening fill).

Perfect for ski touring IMO…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you want to go crazy, try a Thermos model 3700. This is all plastic, with cup, and the capacity is slightly over one cup. The empty weight is only 140 grams, or about 5 ounces.

–B.G.–

Jason Acker

@nwclimber199

I use the Stanley outdoor series 1L thermos for ski touring and cold weather day trips where weight isn't important (gasp) and its awesome.

http://www.shopstanley-pmi.com/detail/TCL+10-00164-000

I can vouch for the 24 hour claim. I made hot chocolate around 7AM one morning and it was at perfect drinking temperature the next morning even after a cold night in the car. The two cup feature is nice too.

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

Not the lightest by any means (15oz), but 750ml.

Last winter I spent 11 hours on Algonquin Mt, with -10F temps at the base…my tea stayed not only warm, but HOT the entire day.

http://www.innate-gear.com/product-info/esse

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools