Topic

Micah True aka “Caballo Blanco” missing in Gila Wilderness.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Micah True aka “Caballo Blanco” missing in Gila Wilderness.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

If you've read "Born to Run" or are familiar with the Copper Canyon ultramarathon, then you may know the name.

Regional SAR teams are searching for Caballo Blanco when he failed to return from a run in the Gila Wilderness of New Mexico late Wednesday.

Let's hope for a safe recovery.

http://www.scsun-news.com/ci_20281254

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Lotta respect for that man. Thank you for the heads up, Eugene.
    Prayer is in order.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

What a character. Hope everything turns out ok.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Threw a link in the OP.

Paul Vertrees
    BPL Member

@sawtooth

Locale: Southern Colorado Rockies

Our hope and prayers are sent your way, Micah.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_20284874/famed-runner-micah-true-missing-gila-wilderness

Checked our local news and found newer information, SAR are still working through the evening.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Didnt realize he's been missing for 3 days already. Hoping for some good news on this one, keep us posted.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

As of this morning Micah True is still missing. I spoke with my friend who headed out with the Organ Mountain Technical Rescue Squad early today and the status was still the same.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Hoping he is found.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Doesn't sound good, prayin he's found.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

I just got off the phone with a friend here in Las Cruces who was on his way back into town from Silver City. No positive news unfortunately.

~54 search volunteers checked into Incident Base today near the Gila Cliff Dwellings/TJ Corral trailheads, at the location of his vehicle. This has now become a multi team search party, consisting of organized SAR teams, horse teams, friends, fellow ultra runners, and local authorities. Two helicopters and a single fixed wing plane are also providing search coverage.

There were several eyewitnesses who saw him driving up NM 15 towards the Cliff Dwellings for what was supposed to be a short run. Caballo's dog was found in his vehicle at the trailhead, so this run wasn't to be an epic.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Doesn't sound good. What are the water conditions right now Eugene? I'm guessing there isn't much snow left low down.

David K

@aviddk

Locale: SW Oregon
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Unfortunate.

Caballo Blanco won't be forgotten and his story will definitely press on beyond that of the running community.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

Very sad. Cliche but true, he left the world doing what he absolutely loved. Nobody can ask for more than that. Hopefully they find there was no foul play and it was just a body failure of some sort. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a heart attack. I just read 'Born to Run' this past year and it really changed my perspective on a lot of things beyond just running. Cabelo Blanco was an inspiration.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Eugene/Jon +1!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I also read this book last year and both the book and Micah were big inspirations for me.

"There is no death. Only a change of worlds." By Chief Seattle

James Castleberry

@winterland76

New video from Cliff Bar.

Scott Jurek feat.Caballo Blanco

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

That's interesting. If I am not mistaken here, an enlarged left ventricle could be caused by the heart overworking for years, as in untreated high blood pressure. The occasional two beers and vanilla ice cream hardly seem like the culprits here. It would help to know if Micah was seen and treated for hypertension.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

there is some concern amongst the running community about long distance running and enlarged heart, I haven't read on it extensively, but it's a little fuzzy

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I was wondering about that Mike.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Eugene/Jon/Mike +1
    I'm not a runner, but I read the book at the suggestion of a friend that had backpacked the Copper Canyon area years ago. Very sad to hear.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

On Friday evening I had one of those runs that make everything feel beautiful and right. Weaving in and out of streams and bushes, hopping rocks, I sat on a boulder in the middle of the river at the halfway point, pulled off my shoes, soaked my feet, and threw back my head and laughed aloud. Golden evening light, wind in the oak branches, my skin flushed from effort.

I can certainly think of worse ways to die; most of us can only look forward to hospital beds. I'm not trying to trivialize the loss of a person by any means, but I think we should all hope to be so fortunate, at the very least, to go out doing something we love in a place that's meaningful to us. I'd wager that Caballo and those that knew him can find some solace in that.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

"OPINION
    This 58-year-old male, Micah True, died as a result of cardiomyopathy.
    According to reports, he was a frequent and long-distance runner and failed to return from a long run. He was found dead in a canyon. He was on the bank of a small stream with just his legs covered by water.

At autopsy, there were numerous abrasions of the extremities, but no evidence of internal injury. Internally, there was enlargement of the heart with left ventricular prominence. The left ventricle was concentrically thickened and dilated. Microscopically there was no evidence of chronic ischemia, inflammation or disarray of the myocardial architecture. The cause of the cardiomyopathy is not readily apparent. The decedent did not have a regular physician and no medical records particularly electrocardiograms or blood pressure readings were available for review. The appearance of the heart did not fit the criteria for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which is usually asymmetric and involves the septum nor that of a dilated cardiomyoptathy. The best determination is that of unclassified cardiomyopathy which resulted in a cardiac dysrhythmia during exertion."

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools