Topic

Favorite freezer bag recipes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Favorite freezer bag recipes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I'm finally looking into this whole freezer bag cooking thing and trying to find good recipes. What's everyone's favorite?

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Can you buy foil zip lock bags like the ones used for mountain house? That would be awesome.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

They are heavy. I use micro-wave bags. Just be careful you don't spill or burn yourself in the vent hole at the top.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

I guess you can re-use a Mountain House one or the like. I use the bottom part of a discarded Platypus (they usually break first somewhere around the mouth), original idea from some BPL editor. It stands up on its own. Whatever the bag, you can add the foil insulation as another layer.

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA

I agree with this posting. I use "boil in bag" bags found in my grocery stores' "food storage" section. They are made for high heat, as does the microwave bags.

Freezer bags do tear at the 'ziplock' ends. The 'boil in bag' is more flexible for stuffing in a cozy also. Freezer bags are also harder to get all the food scooped out in the bottom corners.

Ryan Whitney

@rwhitney1981

is there a specific brand of boil-in-bags you're using? I've had mixed results w/ them before – may have just been the brand selection though.

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

Run by a member. Good freezer bag recipes.

She is also another PNW person – just down the road in Maple Valley.

I like to do ramen noodles, then mix them with peanut butter, siracha, and soy sauce. But the bag is only necessary for the boil, then you pour the other stuff in.

Yum.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Thanks Keith! I haben't been posting as much these days here due to having our 3rd baby :-)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

To the best of my knowledge, Sarah is the originator of Freezer Bag Cooking. She is also my heroine!!! I can now eat great meals on the trail with no dishes to wash–hallelujah!

Just plain freezer bags work fine for me. By the time you get the pot off the stove and pour the water into the freezer bag, it's no longer boiling, but is still hot enough to rehydrate the food.

Her cozies are great, too!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

And better, we have FBC Cozies in stock again :-) My friend Dani (Ldyblade) has taken over the sewing – and we have new colors coming as well.

Lets put it this way: when I started doing FBC it was known mostly as "ziploc" or bag" cooking and there were a few recipes around but not much. I went crazy in developing and adapting recipes those first couple of years – it was a ton of fun :-D And I am still coming up with recipes…my mind is always wandering and thinking.

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA

Ryan, I use the Ziplock Steam-N-Bag version. Very strong, not too flexible like the cheap ones.

Rebecca Canode
    Spectator

@bcanode

Our family favorite is Pizza Ramen from trailcooking.com. We had it last night while backpacking. We doubled the recipe for our family of four (2 adults and 2 kids) and had a little leftover.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools