Topic

Kid’s Sleeping Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Kid’s Sleeping Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Herman
    BPL Member

@hre814

Locale: Alaska

Was looking at getting my 8 year old daughter a new down sleeping bag. Her heavier REI synthetic that we've used the last two years is going to her younger brother. Was looking at something in the 20-30 degree range (most of all our backpacking/camping will be in Alaska). I'm going with down because of the weight, as she is responsible with not getting things wet and she carries all her own gear. Looking for a bag she can use for the next several years.

Was looking for your suggestions. Go with a women's full size bag? I was looking at a Montbell Spiral Down Hugger (#3 I think, the 30 degree one), as I have a 40 degree one that I like. I also have a Marmot Hydrogen 30.

I appreciate any help, wisdom, and direction!

Herman
    BPL Member

@hre814

Forgot, I'm not too concerned with price.

Dan Cherry

@risingsun

Locale: Northern Arizona

I bought regular size 40 degree Montbell down UL bags for my girls (8 and 12) when they were on sale and will let them grow into them. Went with high quality bags to keep weight down for them, and they absolutely love having nice bags like mom & dad. Yeah, it was a splurge for us, but having good quality gear helps to keep them excited about being out and enjoying the outdoors. Plus, I don't replace it when they grow. For our 8-year-old, I scrunch off the footbox as these bags have that feature built in.

Edit: For cooler weather, I have been watching for an opportunity to add to our family bag stash and order some MB#3 ULSS's for them in the future. These are bags that, if cared for, will last them into their adult life and I hope spurs them to continue backpacking after they have moved on with their lives in college and beyond.

Herman
    BPL Member

@hre814

Thanks. I was leaning towards the 30 degree Montbell. My 40 Montbell Super Spiral Down Hugger 800 that I got last year doesn't have the scrunch at the footbox. I saw that discussed a lot when I was researching them, but the model didn't have it when I got around to purchasing it.

Dan Cherry

@risingsun

Locale: Northern Arizona

Herman, the ones I got for our girls are the UL Super Stretch bags which were phased out in '09 or '10, I believe. Bought them from Moontrail.com when they discovered them hidden in the back storage room and put them up as closeouts on their website. It is possible that the closeable footbox feature went out with the Super Stretch bags and wasn't carried through to the Super Spiral bags. My wife has the UL Super Spiral #3 – if I get a chance, I'll take a look to see if it has the footbox close-off feature.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I can't think of any other bag I'd rather have over the ULSS#3 for typical temps I see and I'll get my daughter one as soon as she outgrows her NF Tigger. The newer bags don't have the footbox reduction feature, at least my 2011 doesn't.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I got REI SubKilos for one of my grandsons and my granddaughter while they were on sale at the REI Outlet. Used coupons for both, so about $125 for each. I got longs because it looks as though both will be tall when they grow up. In the meantime, I tie off part of the foot end so there's less dead air space to warm up. I figure they will last at least through their college years.

Youngest grandson still needs his synthetic bag; I just hope I find a comparable deal once his bladder matures.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools