Topic

Bad time to sell gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bad time to sell gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

With sales on new gear now, sellers better lower prices, especially when new can be had for only a few bucks more. Buyer beware.
    Duane

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Yea, I saw some montbell gear that was selling for more than you could get it on cleansnipe. But… Cottage gear deals will always live on as they almost never get discounted.

Dave T

@davet

Yes, it seems like there are more sellers trying to get higher prices (i.e. at "new gear on sale" prices) for their gear.

Back in the day, BPL Gear Swap seemed like a smaller set of folks selling gear at more reasonable, used prices, maybe with more of a "glad it's going to a good home with a fellow fourm member" vibe.

That's my thought, at least.

Of course, we don't have to buy, but ~high prices and bump/bump/bump threads are a little annoying!

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The market sets the rate. If people can't sell here or elsewhere then they will have to lower their price. Let the market set the rate. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Sellers should start high and slowly lower prices. Buyers should only buy at a price they are comfortable. Beyond that who cares.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Perhaps people are trying to recoup their membership fees?

David McBride

@vintagegent

Locale: Galveston TX

"Of course, we don't have to buy, but ~high prices and bump/bump/bump threads are a little annoying!"

I agree that the bumping of sale threads has become an annoyance. I'm on another forum (non backpacking) with a selling subforum, and, in order to bump your thread, you have to reduce your asking price by at least 5%.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the ads from gear buyer below the posts have a very positive effect IMO … basically if yr price is more or not much less than the gear buyer price, yr scrued

the ads are advantageous to the buyers in gear swap … and to BPL who is likely seeing some sales as a result of it

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I've posted wtb ads when I was able for old stoves and cruise the adds for gear, mostly stoves. I now visit BPL quite a bit for info and still looking for stuff to buy, never know. The most active buy/sell place I know of outside CL and eBay.
    Duane

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Why do people sell so much stuff? I have only sold two pieces of gear on BPL in several years. One was a BPL Thorofare shirt that did not live up to Ryan Jordan's hype. I sold it when someone posted a WTB. The second item I sold was when I somehow accidentally ordered a under-quilt from Tim Marshall, instead of a regular quilt.

Maybe folks should quit buying stuff they don't need or research gear a little further? Most of the stuff I have bought that did not live up to expectations I give to people who may not be able to afford it, especially Boy Scouts and college students.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Why do people sell so much stuff?"

Some of us just enjoy it, Nick. I know I do. It's like a hobby, really. I don't rebuild motorcycles, I don't collect figurines, I buy and sell backpacking gear for kicks (I certainly don't do it for profit!). It's relatively harmless, and better than smoking! ;-)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Perhaps…
    But it's getting getting close to the time where people start outfitting for summer trips.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

better than smoking!!!!!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

For the record, Doug DOES collect figurines. Erotic figurines.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"For the record, Doug DOES collect figurines. Erotic figurines."

Damn Steven, you said you wouldn't tell. Well, at least get it completely correct, Erotic Disney figurines! I know, who woulda thought…..

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I know Frank, one of the CA crowd I bp with some, he says many like to try gear out, then if they don't like it, sell it. Quite a bit of that going on here. Like the one topic about some needing the latest and greatest.
    Duane

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

unsavory underbelly of the figure collecting world: figurine erotica. Ha!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"I know I do. It's like a hobby, really. I don't rebuild motorcycles, I don't collect figurines, I buy and sell backpacking gear for kicks"

Okay, you got me there. But maybe I could teach a little bit about buying low and selling high?

;)

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I agree with Greg. If the items for sale are in good enough condition and a buyer deems it a fair price, then it's fine by me. I always do a price search on the net before I sell any gear, just to make sure I'm starting with a fair price. Yeah, there have been a lot of sales going on (Golite for example), but as far as I know, you don't see a lot of ULA, MLD, or Tarptent gear on sale directly from the manufacturer. Because of that, the gear swap is a great place to try out slightly used gear with the safety net of being able to resell if it doesn't work out, avoid 8-12 week wait times, and send gear off to someone who may get more use out of it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools