Topic

Kelty Trail Dome AND footprint $100

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Kelty Trail Dome AND footprint $100

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

..about that much for two items. At REI outlet. This is a 4lb 13 oz (minimum) tent. Not bad for a hundred bucks. I already have the QuarterDome or Id get one!
    http://www.rei.com

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Curious, do you use the QD as a solo tent? Hard for me to imagine anyone sharing but maybe I am more of a space hog than most…

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Ben,

I use the QD frequently with my wife. I'm 6' even and shes 5'8" and we have adequate room; certainly enough for comfort and some gear stowage. I wouldn't want to share the tent with another 6 footer, especially one I wasn't married to but I've never thought it to be too small for our usage. Packs do need to stay outside in the vestibules but I do that even when I'm using the tent solo.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Ben, I use the Quarterdome for two people. I keep the packs and gear in the two vestibules and go outside to cook (if its raining, under an UL 6oz, $5 umbrella while my GF watches from the warmth of her sleeping bag!)
    This small tent might not work for larger people; I'm about 177cm and my GF is 153cm, and understands I have a strict 45kg limit for her. I enforce UL principles in my personal life also ha ha.. :)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Oh well… I guess I am a space hog…

robert sekula

@nhuta

Locale: mid atlantic east coast

hi Brett….
    do you think this thing can be waterproof…i have ~8 years old kelty tent i would't recommend to anybody,maybe they changed technology….anyway $83.99 -20%coupon(enter code: outlet27) sounds gooood.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Robert:

Kelty makes pretty solid (if non-sexy) tents. All the seams of the Trail Dome are factory taped, so barring the odd lemon, you can expect it to be rainproof. However, you should note that the tent only has a partial fly — meaning no vestibule and also a chance of wind-blown horizontal rain making it through the mesh just above the door.

The price is fantastic, but fundamentally, this tent is a compromise: it uses perfectly functional materials that are heavier but cheaper — and compensates with a partial fly. The end result is a cheaper tent that lacks a vestibule, but isn't overly heavy either.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools