Topic

Tent pole sleeve design: inside or outside?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tent pole sleeve design: inside or outside?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Oleksii Klochko

@oleksii

Hello all! I'm reading this forum for a while, but this is my first post. I want to thank all for the amount of ideas shared here.

I’m going to make а new single-wall hybrid a-frame-tunnel tent, and cannot decide which design of a tent pole sleeve to choose. If I’ll put it outside, I think it should be more stable, but will require longer pole. If I’ll put it inside, pole will have some space for unwanted movement. Also, if it will break it may pierce a hole in the tent fabric. Any ideas about pros and cons of each design?

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

I chose inside, in a sleeve which prevents movement. The shape of the apex also helps. It seems stable enough.
    Link

Oleksii Klochko

@oleksii

Nice tent! Have you had any issues with the poles threading in the windy weather?

I forgot to mention that I will use WPB fabric, so I have to use tape to seal seams.

P.S. Sorry for my English.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by poles "threading".

Oleksii Klochko

@oleksii

Sorry, I mean insertion of poles into the sleeves.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

For my first attempt I made the sleeve from silnylon. Bad idea – too much friction preventing the aluminium alloy pole from sliding in. So then I made a new sleeve from noseeum mesh (the fabric with lots of tiny holes that insects cannot get through). That was perfect, very little friction and the pole slides in easily. You might get different results if you used carbon fibre poles, but then you would need a different design anyway.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Oleksi

Both inside and outside work fine. I have used both. No significant difference in stability.
    I don't think the difference in length will really matter.
    If the pole breaks, you have bigger problems! But a torn outer sleeve is not as bad as a torn fly, so outside has an advantage there.
    In either case, you need to make the sleeve wide enough. Stuart had some problems with silnylon I see, but I have no problems with a sleeve which is 25 mm across. That looks large, but works very well for me. The poles slide easily.

Cheers

steven franchuk

@surf

Right when gortex first came out most tent and rain gear was not tape sealed. You had to apply a seam sealer right after you purchased the garmet or tent. Event the first Gortex jackets and the few Gortex tents had to be sealed.

Seam taping was introduced by manufactures to want to avoid complaints and returns from customers that didn't know that the seams were not sealed.

If you use just enough seam sealer to water proof the seam it won't hurt the breathability of the fabric.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools