Topic

Rolling Foot vs. Walking Foot?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Rolling Foot vs. Walking Foot?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dion Dixon

@rangymouse

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns.

So… or should I say, Sew…

I got my Singer 403 up and running like the finely crafted machine it is, and I have a question… Anyone familiar with the rolling foot?

I have one and from what I have read, it appears to be intended to function much like a walking foot. So, should I buy a walking foot before tackling some sil-nylon, m50, or pertex? Or will the rolling foot actually perform as advertised?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have made quite a few silnylon tents over the years. I use a rolling foot – mainly becasue I don't have a walking foot. And I haven't really seen the need to get one.

Cheers

Dion Dixon

@rangymouse

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns.

Thanks, Roger.

Coming from you, I feel secure in eschewing the walking foot, then.

I need to finish my pack so I can start on my quilt.

Steve Hayford

@cyclesafe

Not familiar with the Singer, but the plug-in walking foot on the Bernia does nada.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

The walking foot for home machines is pretty useless. Not even close to a real walking foot machine.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I have found purpose built walking foot machine work like commercial machines are the only ones that work. The only home machine that really works is the Pfaff with I.D.T. a built in walking foot machine. The only problem is the Pfaff sewing machine are very expensive even the used ones,only has 0.8 amp motor.

For the price you will pay you might as will get a Sailrite or other commercial walking foot sewing machine that has the 1.5 amp motor and power to really do what we want easily has special attachment like binding tools that automatically folds 1" cross grain ribbon in half and feeds it though to the needle.
    So you can have professionally looking DIY backpacks and equipment.
    Terry

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Roller feet are very good. Second best are Teflon feet.

The walking feet I have seen just wrinkle very thin fabrics.

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

I have a Pfaff 1200 series machine with a built in walking foot and imo it works brilliantly. I've never heard of a rolling foot, so I have no idea how that will work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools