Topic

What’s your favorite day pack suitable for trail running and hiking?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What’s your favorite day pack suitable for trail running and hiking?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

I'm looking to get a new day pack that incorporates a bladder and is suitable for biking, trail running, and day hiking.

I'm thinking about the Osprey Manta 20
    http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/hydration_packs__osprey_hydraulics/manta_20?tab=description

Or the Raptor 18.
    http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/hydration_packs__osprey_hydraulics/raptor_18

Neither are light, both hovering around 2 pounds, but they are well built and form really well against your back which makes it good for running.

Any other suggestions?

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

I've been using one of those teeny silnylon packs and been quite happy. I'll try to find a link later. Mine is marmot, but patagonia's ultralight travel pack is basically the same. North face makes one too I think.

Anyways it holds a 1l platy and my work clothes just fine for 6 or 7 mile runs. (i run home from work as often as possible) You have to cinch the shoulder straps as tight as can be, but honestly with just a few pounds it is hardly noticeable.

I'm sure there are better packs out there, but mine was like $20… Can't complain

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

No wonder you looked so trim last time I saw you. Very impressive.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Nice. Thanks for the idea. I'll look into those.

James Berwick

@jhb0510

I use a golite rush, it is one of the few packs which comes with different backlengths and actually fits me unlike most!

Nick VanBurkleo
    BPL Member

@envybee

Locale: Midwest

REI Flash 18? I'll admit that I don't trail run (yet) so I haven't run with mine, but it fits great and I've never had an issue. It's tough not to love the little guy.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Jon
    if you are looking for a pack for ultra trail races, 2 lbs is insanely heavy. you want something under 1 lb.
    Nathan HPL 20 is probably the most popular among racers, but there are others.
    It has a bladder, but does not hold very much else, since its for racing.

Even for general trail running, you can do a lot better than a 2 lb pack.
    Heck, you're only going to have 3-6 lbs of stuff in it.

If you want a pack that is more for hiking but for some casual running, the Black Diamond Bbee is a great simple pack. weighs 13oz.

Black Diamond Bbee

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

I have an old Gregory Tread that I use for mountain biking, light hikes, and a little running. 14 oz (with inside pocket removed ;-). Hey! You can still get them! $24 is a good price.

I like the compression straps at the bottom. They allow a rolled up jacket etc to be stowed.

John Jensen

@johnj

BTW, I also have a Gregory RPM as my next step up. Fairly light and capacious for a mass market pack. I do need something in-between it and ULA Circuit though. I can make the RPM work for most things short of snow (again with the compression loops, or "lash-on straps"), but then it tops out.
    chips on pack

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I have looking to find a light weight running pack with about 8 – 10 L of capicity. So far I have bought and returned a Gregroy Diablo 6 and an MEC Fountain 9 and have tried on all of the running packs available at MEC

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/RunningAndFitness/RunningPacks.jsp

My latest conclusion is that it doesn matter the features on the pack the only important elements are a good torso strap with some stretch, some kind of hipbelt, and straps that don't losen. All of the running / hydration packs with any capacity seem really heavy.

So i am planning on going back to the first pack I bought and tried out, and took back because it didn't have a hip belt. The MEC travel light Day pack. I will just sew on my own hipbelt and be done with it.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/Daypacks/Unisex/PRD~5023-570/mec-travel-light-day-pack.jsp

I also am consider ordering a Golite Rush 8 but I really would like to see reviews on how it fits. I really like that it has waterbottle holders built in but it also appears to not have any kind of hip belt so that would have to be added. The Go lite Rush 10 jumps up to a pound so still lighter than most running packs but really too heavy for my liking. As I have started to run in these various packs I have realized that any extra weight makes a big differnce. So using an 8oz pack over a 1.5lb pack is definately worth it possibly even at the expense of fit.

John Jensen

@johnj

I'm tall/skinny enough that the "hip belt" on these little packs is more a "bounce loop" around my lower ribs.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the MEC travel lights have a slick back which is an issue IMO for high movement activities

i use this for climbing/running … it has a mesh back which shifts less and is better ventilated … weights 9 oz, 17L and cost me 15$ on sale

you can just use a single piece of webbing with buckle around the bungees in the back and yr waist as a belt …

and should it get mauled by a hungry bear … EB will give you a new one …

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=36961

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Interesting pack, How deep is it from your pack to the outer edge when it is full. It looks like it is more than 6" deep? I couldn't find any specs for the depth of the pack could you measure yours if you get the chance.

Does it compress down? I really only need about 8-10 L max when fully loaded for a long unsupported run with the possibility of an injury keeping you out overnight.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

My favorite tiny pack is the Black Diamond Bbee. Clean, durable, and fits me perfectly (ergo very stable).

The Osprey Talon and Hornet series are also very good, if a lot busier and more expensive. The adjustable shoulder yoke on the Talon 22 makes it a top pick for big and tall folks.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Greg

Its roughly 6" … There is some compression through th bungee and if u wrap a waist strap around the pack

The various bd bullet type packs are also good alternatives as mentioned above

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I have an Osprey Raptor 6. Carries plenty for me. Rides exceptionally well.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Wow, a lot of packs to look at now. Thanks.

I actually really like the REI Flash 18. No idea if it would be comfortable for running though.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Edit: Actually, you are correct, the 8 does not have a hip belt. The 10 does.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

As to ready-made packs I like:

Golite Rush 10 (16 oz.) or the Rush 20 (19 oz.). The 8 is 10 oz. but pretty small.
    Osprey Hornet 24 – 18 oz.
    REI Stoke 19 – 20 oz.

AND

I am looking at both ZimmerBuilt and ZPacks for custom solutions. They should be able to build something in the under 16 oz range that will meet your needs with a belt, etc. They can get under eight ounces if you really want to.

Please report back on your purchase or what you've narrowed down to and why. -I'm off to try a few on and make up my mind.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Warren,

I think I'm actually going for the REI Flash 18. It's not what I think of when I think trail running bag, but I'm intrigued. It's got much more capacity than most other bags (great for long day hikes, SUL weekend trips), weighs less than others (11 oz), and is a stuff sack in itself. It even has a removable back pad for rigidity.

I have no idea how it's going to work for running. Though heavier, the thing I like about the Osprey packs is that it forms to your back – this one doesn't look like it does that.

Oh, and it's only 27 dollars with 20% sale and it comes with the REI 100% return guarantee.

I'll let you know what I think about it when it arrives and I test it out.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

gonna go down to REI and try the Flash 18 and Stoke 19 packs. I like the Stoke 19 in theory for its padded belt and straps. I'm looking for a pack to hike with only. No running, so I don't have the consideration.

Good luck.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I suggest you try a Salomon S-Lab skin series pack if you're serious about running.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

18L is a lot of volume for a running pack, unless you're doing some all day self supported running with supplemental food and light insulation. How is the compression on the Flash?

7-10L is sufficient volume for a running pack and a days worth of water, essentials, and calories.

Finding a pack for running, hiking, and biking will be tough, at least finding one that does all three really well. Personally, I would try and find a pack that works best for running primarily, the other two activities don't require such a dialed in fit to function. A mile of bouncing pack and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I have used a Burn for all three activities listed. For trail running I cinched the back panel together using the little loops for the compression cord. This creates a fanny pack sized compartment with additional room if needed. Is it ideal for running, likely not but I find it to be at least good at each of the three functions.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools