Topic

Sunshine Prepares for the Appalachian Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Sunshine Prepares for the Appalachian Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Sunshine Prepares for the Appalachian Trail

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Go, Sunshine, go!!!

James Castleberry

@winterland76

I will be eagerly anticipating the stories! Good luck!

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

You two are rock stars. I hope you enjoy your trip to the east!

Louis Brooks

@louisb

Locale: North Adirolf

Are you doing a trail journal? I would like to follow along on your trip.

edit: Just found your trail journal. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=364996

Thanks,

–louis

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Eric your little girls and adorable!

Jim Cowdery
    BPL Member

@james-cowdery

Locale: South Florida

I am envious! My daughter, Jukebox, finished the trail in 2009 at age 18. It has been my dream to thru-hike for several years but I have only been able to section hike. I did manage to do a few sections with her including her finish at Springer Mountain.

And if you really want to be southern all-y’all need to be safe and have a good time!!

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

I certainly enjoyed following your 2011 PCT adventure and I'm looking forward, once again, to follow your 2012 AT adventure. Good luck out there on the trail this year.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

What a fantastic family! I wish you luck on your AT hike. I was just ahead of you on the PCT in Oregon. I was hiking with Wired at that time. I remember seeing notes on the trail written for Sunshine to pick up. I'm sure they were notes saying how amazing she is.

What are Keen Mesh Ramblers? I don't see them on the Keen site.

Maxine Weyant
    BPL Member

@maxine

Re: Cuben rain chaps–I scuffed holes in mine at the inner ankles within a day or 2. You might want to reinforce the bottom or rig a strap closure. I had Dirty Girl gaiters but the chaps always slid out after a short time.

Kudos to you both for the Active Water endorsement, for "walkin' the talk!"

I met you 2 on the PCT last year just north of Crater Lake NP, and the renowned Billy Goat just 20 minutes later. I'm not a big blog follower, but it has been such a pleasure keeping up with you 2. I'm so delighted you're continuing on with your spirited forays!

Maxine (Dys-feng shui-nal)

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Dear Sunshine and Balls,

We are excited to follow your journey once more. I ended up reading your PCT account as bedtime stories to our girls and they simply ate it up. They will be thrilled to follow you on the AT as they are inspired for their own hikes by your steady stories. May God bless your every step.

Patti Binder
    BPL Member

@quiltbinder

Locale: Southwestern Florida

How exciting! I won't be able to follow your progress online, but hope to meet you on the trail, when you pass me. I'm starting 3/30 from Standing Bear Farm. N of the Smokies, And will also be traveling N, though at a slower pace. So if you pass an older lady with wooden hiking poles and wearing a Macabi Skirt and Sunday Afternoons Adventure hat, please stop me to chat. If we're in camp, Sunshine can try out my hammock.
    I was very impressed by your PCT hike.

Have a fantastic hike,
    Longskirt

GD
    BPL Member

@nsiderbam

I had a great time reading about your adventures on the PCT and am excited to read about your experiences on the AT. I spent a week on it over spring break and every single thru-hiker I met was an awesome person — the trail is a lot more beautiful than I expected (coming from a west-coaster who hadn't hiked on the AT until a year ago).

Do you have a blog that you'll be updating or will all of your updates be posted as articles on BPL?

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I too am looking forward to following your adventures for another hike!

C Nugget
    Spectator

@nuggetwn

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Travel safe & God Bless

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Go Sunshine and B*lls!

I'd follow your journal but for the life of me can't seem to figure out how to "join" or "subscribe".

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Warren,
    The RSS feed button is on the bottom left column of their page so you can add it to your favorite Reader.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Kudos to both of you! When I told my son about the long trails of this country, his reaction was "we could go backpacking and camping for four months straight!". I'll be sure to share this story with him.

Quick question – how did you work out Sunshine's schoolwork while she's on the trail? I'd like for Mickey and I to do a long trail at some point. If you have any tips on negotiating that, I'd be interested.

Eric Gjonnes
    BPL Member

@ekg

Locale: Northwest

Good question Kier. Oregon requires a child to be enrolled in a school or Homeschool program. We contacted our local state education district and enrolled her as a Homeschool student only for the months on the trail. But she returns to public school the rest of the year. We worked with her teachers to see their recomendations as to what she should study on the trail. They even provided work sheets for us to put into our resuply packages. Last year, she started public school ahead of many students even though she was a month late. Contact the office in your area that governs home school requirements and see what you need to do to make this happen. You will never regret it!
    Thanks for following us,
    Balls and Sunshine

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Good Luck and enjoy the trail!

School work is mostly learning about things that are interesting. The AT is certainly one with lots of history available. Bugs are not real bad, but can get annoying, nothing like black fly season in the North East or ADK's. Ticks, and Lyme disease, are a problem with many authorities predicting a difficult year. (My wife picked up Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever on our trip, about the same time frame. We spent a couple days getting her tested and getting an anti-biotic. Odd, but, hey…that *is* a trail.) If you can get a couple days to spend in washington, the Smithsonian has excelent natural history departments. Along with coverment visitations…Well worth the stop even if they don't let you climb the Washington Monument anymore.

Yeah, vitamins, and minerals are somthing that is often missed with dehydrated foods. Especialy, the "fresh" vitamins…folic acid, vitamin-C, etc. You sound like you have it well in hand. I would suggest picking up some fresh ruits/veggies as you leave town…pills and mixes are never the same. Use care with water sources, the AT passes through several populated places. Chemical, filters and even boiling does not clean the water in a lot of these.

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

WOW… I am so excited for you both and cannot wait to read your articles. I live in Atlanta and the weather forcast for Sunday is awesome. Up in the mountains we are already having warm days with cool evenings. I would love to meet meet yall but I will not be up on the trail this weekend. I teach a lightweight backpacking class at the Hike Inn which is on a alternative approach trail on the way up to the top of Springer from Amicalola State Park. If you are hiking up to Springer it is worth the trip to stop in and have some cookies for the trail. Please send me a PM if you want an extra contact at this end of the trail…I will be happy to help out if you need anything.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Sounds good – thanks for the info! Good luck!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

You guys should have a ball on this trip! Here are some places you should visit.

1. Grayson Highlands – Obviously you two will hike through this area but I'd plan on having Teresa and Butterfly meet you at Grayson Highlands state park for some family time. The area is beautiful and their are wild ponies (actually very tame ponies but they are cute and I'm sure Butterfly would enjoy them). From the park its a short hike into the high country so Teresa and Butterfly could get a nice hike in relatively easily if they wanted to. I think there are showers down in the campground but I'm not sure.
    2. Colonial Willaimsburg – A bit expensive but if you (Balls) like American History this is the place to go. Probably about the closest thing to travelling back in time you can experience.
    3. Air and Space museum.

I'm be in Virginia in early summer/late summer. Maybe I'll see you.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

+1 on Number 2 Colonial Williamsburg is blast from the past.

When my wife and I were there the Play House was great. During the play the audience is invited to make comments aloud to the cast of the play. It was a "hoot"!

And what kids don't like ponies?

Party On,

Newton

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

Best of luck to you both! Sunshine working on triple crown before 13?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools