Topic

Indoor Girl Takes on a Yurt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Indoor Girl Takes on a Yurt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Indoor Girl Takes on a Yurt

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

A complete change from a 5 lb pack for the weekend. Sounds like good fun.

Cheers

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Oh the wonders of the internet! Who would have thought you could google plan a wildnerness getaway. Glad you had a great time and thanks for sharing the fun with us.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

I love your writing style! And I like your sense of humor
    “…Although using a pit toilet is not enjoyable – and there is basically no way to improve the experience…”

I wouldn’t mind seeing another story about a backpacking trip w/ your husband.
    Thanx for writing,
    -Barry

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Great writing. Nice change of pace for this site.

Kevin Rey
    Spectator

@kd7kmp

Locale: Wasatch Mountains

Margie,

Great story. Thanks for sharing your experience. I only live a couple hours from your yurt as well. I ought to show this story to my wife and get her to make a trip next year.

Kevin

Edward Riley
    BPL Member

@edrileyme-com

Barry,

I have to disagree with the comment. “…Although using a pit toilet is not enjoyable – and there is basically no way to improve the experience…”. I used to work at a wilderness camp for juvenile delinquents in the bush in Northern Saskatchewan. Our doorless out house did not have any odor in the winter (all frozen) and it looked out over the lake. The kids never bothered me while visiting the latrine and I got to enjoy a beautiful view. A very nice, peaceful time.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The article brings up a great point, the fantastic network of huts, cabins, and lookouts maintained by the Forest Service for public use. Especially great for families and those bringing less-outdoorsy friends and SOs, and for relaxed winter trips. Recreation.gov is a bit clumsy to use, but is convenient for planning trips far away and months in advance.

For example, I've sent several correspondents asking for advice on visiting Glacier NP with small kids to rec.gov to rent one of the numerous cabins up the North Fork of the Flathead. They're far cheaper than any other option with comparable amenities during the season, feel relatively remote, and offer quick and easy access to kid-friendly hikes in the park.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Wow, that is some yurt! What a nice break from the usual mass minimization methods.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools