Topic

Test

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

I had a pair of MT101's that I thought fit me almost perfect. I learned they didn't quite on a long downhill day, and ended up with a couple of blackened toe nails. I've still been using the shoe barefoot as I have a smidge more room that way, but knew I needed to size up eventually.

Unfortunately, NB doesn't seem to have many shoes in size 13-1/2 so I bought a pair of MT00's in size 14. They looked comically long on my feet, but I was amazed at the fit and feel. The heal stays firmly seated, I had almost a full inch from my big toe to the front of the shoe, and about half that from my pinky toe to the front. I planned to test them on a short, easy trip to Joshua Tree this last weekend.

We headed out on the Boy Scout Trail and made good time. We finished it early in the afternoon, and my feet felt great, maybe a smidge tender in the heel and some ligaments felt slightly sore (I fully expected as much, adjusting to a 0 mm drop), but I was very happy with the shoe.

The next day we set off to Willow Hole and then cross country to Indian Cove via Rattlesnake Canyon. This was our first time in that area, and we turned east too soon, and it turned into quite an adventure. I spent a good 5 or 6 hours jumping, sliding and lowering myself down the granite rocks (going a total of maybe 3 miles if I mapped our actual route taken correctly). This abuse turned out to be way too much for my feet to handle, and a little too much for the shoe. I have impact blisters on the bottom of both heels (pretty much the whole heel on one foot) and the balls of both feet. I don't really blame the shoes at all for this, the terrain was much rougher than I thought when I first mapped out the route. I'm not sure if taking the correct route would have even been any better.

The shoes themselves are fine except for one thing: a couple of the glued on lugs have begun to delaminate.

MT00 Delamination

The rest of the shoe did remarkably well considering the torture test I threw at them. I'm kind of torn as to whether I should try to return these or not. They certainly weren't made for that type of abuse, but it was only 6 hours or so.

So… Would you return them, or accept that you put them through something they weren't entirely designed for?

TLDR: Feel and flexibility are amazing, sole durability is questionable.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools