Topic

Big Sky Update

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Sky Update

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Erik Hagen
    BPL Member

@ewh100

Locale: SF Bay Area

I just noticed that Big Sky International's product availability message was updated last week. Here it is:

Big Sky – Product Availability as of 2012-03-21

Big Sky's new production facility is under construction.
    – We are currently ramping up production.
    – Evolution 2Ps will start shipping in April, other models will quickly follow.
    – We will contact those that have ordered first, then ship new orders.
    Thank you for your patience.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good to know, Erik! For those who prefer simple, traditional, time-tested and no-nonsense tent design — the self standing dome tent for one, two, or four — Big Sky makes just about the lightest out there! Lots of space… with very little weight penalty. I love my Mirage 2P — super easy and fast setup.

But a word of caution to anyone who isn't familiar with Big Sky — their delivery time can be a very long one, if they don't have the model you want on hand.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Ben/Erik,

Big Sky tents are not available for sale in the United States, or anywhere else for that matter. I've purchased their entire production run, and have been burying the tents out back. One day I'm going to be rich!!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Not with moldy tents you won't!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

"Thank you for your patience."

I have no experience, only hearsay. But I dont recall anyone having their brand of "patience" Most peoples ran out somewhere between 6 mos and 1 yr, with no response to inquiries.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice…..

Dave T

@davet

Big Sky's new production facility is under construction.
    – We are currently ramping up production.
    – Evolution 2Ps will start shipping in April, other models will quickly follow.
    – We will contact those that have ordered first, then ship new orders.
    Thank you for your patience.

Fool me once… charge my credit card, don't respond to emails, put money in bank, promise "a new facility" for two years, take more money, don't respond to more emails, announce more models, promise new quick delivery times, take more money, charge more credit cards, ignore more emails….

Shame on you.

Ron W

@miles2go

Locale: White River National Forest

Right! Buyer be frightened.

Unfortunately, there are positive reviews of these tents on Backpack Gear Test and in other places that will lead people to the product site, unaware of the great waste time they are about to embark on.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

If my credit card is charged for something and I don't get a tracking number, I would send one email and if no response in 8-16 business hours I would cancel the charge through my credit card company. I have always been under the general impression that nobody charges until an item ships. I wouldn't intentionally do business with a vendor who charged before shipping.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

That used to be BS' operational mode — charge first, then ship when stock is available! Many waited for months — a few for a whole year and a half!! I used to warn people against BS every time a post came up. Two years or so ago, BS changed its policy to charging only when ready to ship. So now, I do my part to warn people about the potentially very long wait time.

Such a shame… because their tents really are fantastic! I was lucky… I got my beloved Mirage 2P at a silent auction 3 years ago at the PCT kickoff. Got a great discount too.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

"Unfortunately, there are positive reviews of these tents on Backpack Gear Test and in other places that will lead people to the product site, unaware of the great waste time they are about to embark on."

The positive reviews are there because the tents really are great. I have a 3P one that I ordered last spring. They didn't have one of the options that I wanted for it and Bob was quite honest in that he didn't know when his supplier would deliver the "porch" portion of my tent. He offered to send a non-porch version and refund the cost difference for me to try out. I got the tent in a couple of weeks and was happy enough with the version that I kept the version he sent and kept the extra $ in my pocket.

I understand that not everyone has had the positive experience that I had. But I can only speak from experience, hence my positive review.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools