Topic

Cuben Fabric – how does it stand to Hail.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben Fabric – how does it stand to Hail.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

Hello everyone,

I'm new on these forums. First of all I want to thank everyone for the amazing information shared on this community.

I'm planning to do a backpacking trip along the Cordillera Huayhuash in Peru. Unlike most people visiting this area, I would like to do this trek being self-sufficient. The trek is about 10-15 days (depending on the route taken) and most likely I will be doing this trek solo.

This has forced me to look into trimming my base pack weight as much as possible. Encourage by the posts of many of you, I'm looking into building my own shelter out of Cuben Fabric (Something along the lines of the Duomid). I do love the Tipi style of shelters (I currently own a Golite Shangri-la 5 which is a bit heavy and too large for this trip).

Anyway, I understand is not uncommon to have short but intense pours of hail on this area. Do any of you guys have experienced hail on their Cuben tents/tarps?. (I'm considering the 0.7 oz variety).

Thank you

Mario

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Does great, I waited out two consecutive hail storms in Colorado this summer in a .51 cuben hexamid duo. Got to a low point just before the storm hit, the first storm lasted about 15 minutes and was pea-sized hail. After about 30 minutes another storm hit and this time had blueberry sized hail. By the end there was a solid layer of hail covering the ground like snow.

Hexamid did great, didnt doubt its strength at all after that, even though i already had a custom .75 cuben hexamid being made at the time.

With a duomid type shelter with steep walls it would be even more bomber

if i can find the video of the hailstorm i'll post it

Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

Thanks Tyler. It's reassuring to hear your personal experiance of performance of Cuben fabric on a hail storms. I definitely don't want to find myself with my tent shredded in pieces and several days away from the closest town.

Your description is very detailed and graphic but if you find that video, it would be awesome if you post it. I've seen several videos of cuben tents on very windy conditions but none on a hail storm.

Cheers,

Mario

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools