Topic

Source for EVA Foam

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Source for EVA Foam

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I am looking to so something a little outside the box. I want to make a groundsheet out of 1/8" EVA foam. My thinking is that it would replace my groundcloth and also serve as protection for my UL sleeping pad. From the looks of it if I did my math right, it should weigh in the range of 5oz. Does anyone know of a source I could get a 40"x80" sheet to give this a try?

Thanks Ben

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

http://www.foamorder.com

I think Oware sells that size too.

Mike Hensel
    BPL Member

@mike220

Locale: Northwest

Suluk46. com

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

It looks like SULUK46 does not sell the 1/8" foam anymore. Looking at the Foamorder website, they don't give weights or density. My 1/8" foam from Suluk is lighter than what you have calculated – 40x80x1/8" would be under 4 oz. – if you could get it. But the Foamorder stuff may be a different density and thus a different weight.

By the way – my experience is that a foam groundhseet is great on the snow, not so great for dirt/rocks/pine needles. Especially pine needles – they get stuck in it and you have to spend time pulling them all out. Dirt and little pine comes also tend to stick to it. So I only use mine for snow camping.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools