Topic

JMT List Early August 2012

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT List Early August 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Justice Baker
    BPL Member

@jkokbaker

Locale: Central Oregon

Here is my most updated gear list, any comments are welcome, any way to get the weight lower. I am leaving Happy Isles on July 31. I plan on hiking about 15 to 16 miles per day, taking 16 days for the whole thing. My list does not include consumables or my camera gear, not sure about the camera gear yet. Here is my link to geargrams:

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=7099

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Consider adding:
    compass
    maps
    plastic pealess whistle
    water purifier tablets (backup)
    backup fire lighting method and tinder
    lightweight fleece gloves
    insect repellent?

Is the Steripen going to work with the platy? (I'm having a hard time picturing this. :)

If it matters, you could cut some weight on the cooking gear by using alcohol or Esbit

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Also consider adding: sunscreen, hat, bug head net, and a razor blade or small knife. Looks like a good list.

Justice Baker
    BPL Member

@jkokbaker

Locale: Central Oregon

Good call on the maps, I forgot. I think I can do without the compass or whistle, I have heard it is a pretty well used trail. I rarely use insect repellant ever. I will stir my water in my pot then pour in my water bottle. I may try the Esbit or alcohol in the spring and summer hiking to see how I like it. It seems my cooking items are the best way for me to cut weight, does anybody see anything else.

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

I did mine in early August last year. I much appreciated a compass. There were times (and this was an unusual snow year) where snow made the trail, by itself, not so obvious. In those times I found it comforting to take out my compass and re-orient myself. I have a pretty bum sense of direction in general, so that might not be a problem you'll encounter. For a half ounce you could get a button compass, for an ounce or 1.5 you can get something more accurate.

You seem to know your options, so I won't really critique where you could shave weight but probably chose to go with your tradeoff of choice.

One thing, why toilet paper? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwmwxkD86Ec . Seriously. I did this last year, it was great, no problems.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools