Topic

Replacement for the Walmart grease pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Replacement for the Walmart grease pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

It looks like Walmart and Kmart stopped carrying these a while ago. Is there a something similar out there? I always liked that it was so thin so it was about as light as a ti pot but it seems to conduct better. The $5 price tag wasn't too bad either.

I know anti-gravity gear makes one, but it's only 3 cups rather than 5.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Try the Stanco Grease pot–looks like Amazon has them for $10. A few years ago, I was able to get my local True Value hardware store to special order one (it's in their catalog) for ~$6–no shipping charges.

Mine weighs 3 oz with tin foil lid. Nice and sturdy. Filled to the rim, it's about 4.5 cups.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I just spent some time looking for a new pot and ended up with the AntiGravity Gear 3 cup pot you mentioned, but I also came across this Stanco Greasepot:

http://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Stanco_Greasepot.html

Still might give this one a try though…

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I bought one from end2end trail supply and it works great for boil water only cooking. Great size for two or three people. Can fit a Canister and folding canister stove in it. I have a an Optimus crux.

You can save almost an ounce of weight by replacing the knob on the lid with a paper clip

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Good find, that is exactly what I was looking for.

My current one is greatest snow melting pot I have ever used! I knew I should have bought every last one on the shelf back in 2007.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Google is your friend. In a one minute search, I found it, in stock, on amazon.com. Unfortunately, though, the price has doubled since I bought one in 2005.

david richardson
    BPL Member

@drichi

Locale: midwest

I was in a brand new K-mart this weekend, and they had grease pots on the shelf. It kind of surprised me as I also thought that they had stopped carrying them. dave

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

The only thing the grease pot has going for it is that it is cheap. It is not readily available most places even.

I tried it for a while for 2P = 4cups. It splashes over which is annoying since its not quite large enough for that when boiling.

It has no handle, so you either burn yourself with bandana, carry a heavy pot gripper, or rig up another way , and its still a pita to pour into freezer baggie or cup because too hard to pour with one hand with those methods. You risk spilling water or scalding your hand holding the cup/baggie every time you pour water.

Too big for 1P unless you are going to cook in it, which I dont.

I found the evernew 1.3L well worth the ~$50 to upgrade for the above reasons. I mean, seriously well worth it. If the grease pot had a handle like the evernew, it would have been tolerable, but I HATED boiling water for two freezer bags , or cups of coffee with that thing. It made something that should be so simple, a pita.

I did burn a hole in the side of mine trying to braze on a foldable handle though. Its pretty thin.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Like the man said, end2end has them in stock. ;-)

http://end2endtrailsupply.com/Stanco_Greasepot.html

$8.00 and $4.00 flat rate shipping.

Party On,

Newton

Paul Ashton

@pda123

Locale: Eastern Mass

I thought the grease pot had been replaced in the hiking cheap fasion by the 10 and/or 12 cm IMUSA mug. Available at Walmart amongst other paces. Has a handle:) But – it gets bloody hot

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Has a handle:) But – it gets bloody hot"

Wrap the handle with aluminum foil.

–B.G.–

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

The IMUSA mugs are also available at end2end.

I find having to maintain a lid quite annoying on the IMUSA. I keep wrecking mine and getting it folded up or having it blow away. I use a cut down pie plate. Any other good options?

As for the grease pot I added by own handle accoss the top of the pot with metal wire and drilling two holes in the sides. I perfer it and its lid to the IMUSA.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Yep I added a bail to mine too. Worked great except that pouring was still a 2person job, and I was worried about something poking a hole in the pack, so I wrapped with a bandana. Also needed a bandana just for pot holeder too, not going to use my dirty sweaty one and have it dip in the water or something. Just cant pour it one handed, and that is a deal breaker for me now. Just the handle on the evernew is worth $50 by comparison. Soooo ez.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

These might work as alternatives to the IMUSA mug if you want a real lid.

http://www.amazon.com/Imusa-Aluminum-Grease-Dipsenser-Quart/dp/B0018EA048/ref=pd_sim_k_3

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Just cant pour it one handed, and that is a deal breaker for me now."

Use a stiff, solid stainless steel wire for the bail.

Also, most people try to pour the pot to the midpoint between the bail wire ends. Instead, pour directly past one bail wire end.

–B.G.–

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

You can purchase lids for IMUSA cups here. I have one and it fits perfectly.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

The price for the lid for the 10cm IMUSA mug is $10.00 + $5.00 shipping = $15.00 total investment.

The price for the mug is $5.00 + $4.00 shipping + $9.00 total investment.

$24.00 total cost for 2.96 ounces total weight and 24 ounces of capacity.

The Stanco Grease Pot sells for $8.00 + $4.00 shipping = $12.00 total investment and it comes with a lid. It has a capacity of 40 ounces and weighs 3.7ounces.

"You can save almost an ounce of weight by replacing the knob on the lid with a paper clip".

I'd go with the Grease Pot from end2end and a paper clip! Equal weight and 16 ounces more capacity. To each his own but in another thread on BPL it seems that shorter and wider aluminum pots are more efficient.

I currently use a MSR aluminum pot lifter that weighed 1.9 ounces before I cut it down to its .95 ounce size to lift my current cookpot.

Modify Your Own Gear pot lifter

I have plans to cut it down even further in weight. A wire bail would probably be even lighter.

The lid on the Grease Pot could I believe be lightened also by cutting down on its "lip" that overhangs the pot itself.

Party On,

Newton

Paul Johnson
    BPL Member

@johncooper

I have a heavy Jetboil and keep looking at moving to alcohol to save weight. I've already made my stove and tested. I'm looking for a pot ($5 grease pot sounds good….), but when I read reports of scalding hands, using a pot holder, grabbing the pot with a glove or bandana to pour etc… it reminds me of camping before Jetboil's came along.

It always lights, you can handle it with bare hands, it pours easy and best of all it only uses .5oz of fuel per liter boiled. It's definitely a winner for groups. Now I'm having a tough time giving it up for solo trips.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

If you always have light fleece liner gloves they double as pot holders so you don't burn yourself while pouring.

Good tip on pouring overtop of the bailer I will have to give that a try.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

"Try the Stanco Grease pot–looks like Amazon has them for $10. A few years ago, I was able to get my local True Value hardware store to special order one (it's in their catalog) for ~$6–no shipping charges.

Mine weighs 3 oz with tin foil lid. Nice and sturdy. Filled to the rim, it's about 4.5 cups."

+1

BTW, the pot that you used to be able to get at KMart WAS the Stanco Grease Pot – identical. Much superior to the Walmart one because of the outwardly rolled lip, allowing use with a Caldera Cone system.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

You can get free shipping with the Stanco grease pot with a couple eBay sellers, at $14.49/$14.99. Amazon would be a bit more with shipping added in if you can't make the $25 free shipping amount, then the pot did not qualify meeting the minimum. More money spent, I'll hold off, even though it is just a little bit more $. Sure tempting to get the pot weight so low.
    Duane

drowning in spam

@leaftye

This is where having an Amazon Prime membership is great because it means free shipping.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Eugene, does that mean one would have to have their credit card? Most stuff I get from Amazon qualifies for free shipping as I only get oil filters I can't find elsewhere so I get enough to last a year for my vehicles. I'm debating getting the REI card, not sure what I would do with the $100 gift card.
    Duane

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools