Topic

MYOG rain gear fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG rain gear fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Seymour

@mothergoose

Locale: Southern Oregon

rain gear seems to be the hardest thing for me to decide on!

so im thinking about making my own…

anyone have suggestions on fabric? looking for light durable and not overly expensive.

anyone ideas? :)

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

It depends on what you're trying to make.

Shawn Seymour

@mothergoose

Rain Gear…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Shawn, it depends on what kind of rain gear you are trying to make.

A short rain jacket might be one fabric. A long hooded rain parka might be another. Rain pants might be another. A poncho might be another.

–B.G.–

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Add to that list:
    anorak
    parcho
    kilt
    rain sleeves
    mittens
    gloves
    hat
    umbrella

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

calgoule

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

I would use different materials if making a poncho/pack cover/groundsheet versus a w/p/b jacket and pants or rain skirt or poncho and chaps or poncho with a hat cover and detachable sleeves or etc etc

What type of rain gear are you considering?

Edit: repetive ideas due to my slow posting from an iPhone.

Shawn Seymour

@mothergoose

sorry i didnt realise there was so many types!

im more of a pants and jacket (w/hood) kinda guy. not a big fan of panchos…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Shawn, just for one place to start, take a look at the Liberty Ridge kits sold by Thru-Hiker, and look at the fabrics used there.

Some people would want something that is mostly waterproof and mostly breathable. However, some people are hotter and some are colder, so there are fully waterproof items like Sil-Nylon, event, etc.

–B.G.–

Shawn Seymour

@mothergoose

more waterproof is important to me. i live on the oregon coast, we see alot of rain. i could always add some pit zips for more vent

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

If light and durable are your main requirements I have also had good results with the Liberty Ridge pattern (Thru-Hiker). Silnylon is a good value, but not breathable. W/p/b cuben at Zpacks is supposed to be good (and durable), but at a price ($60/sqyd ouch).

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Most of the MYOG suppliers offer WPBs, but few provide specific weights.
    One that does, is Questoutfitters.com, and they have several offerings under 3 oz. per square yard. Cost runs $13-14 per running yard.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

rockywoods sells gtx fabrics

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I recently made an anorak with a 2.5-layer WPB fabric from Quest Outfitters. I think I paid about $10-11 a yard for 2nds. (I only need about 1.5 yds for an anorak 2/hood.) Simple design without pockets or fancy hood. Completed weight is 5oz on my scale.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Try some Versatech. I'm not sure of its weight, but the price is great.

norm dube

@medic22

Recently tested out tyvek tarp in a very serious rain storm. Anybody have experience with tyvek weeping once it has been softened? Mine held up pretty well for extreme conditions. Ridgeline weeped a very small amount but I was still the driest guy there.

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

Sumi,

I don't suppose you have a pattern for this somewhere?

Cheers,
    Corey

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

@Corey, I just used a McCall's pattern (M6252) purchased from JoAnn's. I altered the neck/hood area a bit so that the zipper is longer and comes up to just under my chin. Used the same simple hood design but cut the pattern to fit my head.

I previously made it out of silnylon (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=42386) and it's been really useful but I wanted something a little more breathable, even if a few ounces heavier. Since I took the pics, I've added an elastic cinch cord around the hood, which I did for the WPB version as well. I also dropped the back hem so that it covers my butt.

The 2.5-layer WPB fabric that I got has abolutely no give and that made the sleeves really tricky, more so than the silnylon. I would try to find a pattern with raglan sleeves for this. Either way, it would be simple to sew in pitzips if you want.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I would use 2.5 layer WPB from Quest

I don't think pit zips offer a big enough opening to provide significant ventilation

Full zipper on the front offers more ventilation

That's my experience in Oregon where it rains often : )

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools