Topic

Current snow condtions near Jackson Hole, WY?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Current snow condtions near Jackson Hole, WY?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Mrs Mags and I are off to visit a friend in Victor, ID this week. We leave Tues night.

We were planning to do some backcountry skiing (Nordic Touring…maybe some tele) in the area. The nearby NF land for sure, Teton NP is a strong possibility and maybe Yellowstone NP.

Anyone know the snow conditions in the area? I know a little further south (but higher elevations) here in CO the snow conditions for skiing are rather mediocre.

Hoping things are better up further north? Is there a decent amount of snow for skiing? Thinking of bring kicker skins and red wax. (ugg!)

Thanks for any info…

stephan q
    BPL Member

@khumbukat

Howdy,

You can use weatherunderground.com. Just check the weather for your area of choice, go to the full screen mode, and you have live Google map info. I found this by accident looking at frozen Tioga Lake in January, as we were heading that way. stephan

PS- If you go to Banos, Ecuador you can see this volcano is still sending up a plume.banosBanos, May 2011

Chad Lorenz
    BPL Member

@chadl

Locale: Teton Valley, Wydaho

http://www.jhavalanche.org is a good start…

I live in Driggs (north of Victor) and work at Targhee. In general we've had a warm march with valley temps reaching into the low 60's and temps in the mountains barely (sometimes not) reaching the freezing mark. Expect wet slides triggered both naturally and via human traffic on many aspects in steeper terrain. I'm trying to be a bit vague intentionally, explore the above website as well as http://www.mountainweather.com/ for more detailed analysis of weather trends and snowpack to make an informed decision. Ski safe, it's fun spring conditions out there!

Chad

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Thanks for the info. More than likely it will be touring focused in any case. Similar to spring conditions here it looks like based on the websites. Looks like red wax skiing all around. I am an early bird…Mrs Mags is not. :)

I have a buddy who had a place in Driggs and stayed there two years ago. Amazing how the place expanded. It is also where we plan on buying some groceries during the week. (Part of our payment for stay is that I cook.)

stephan q
    BPL Member

@khumbukat

Sorry, snow level does not equal snow conditions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools