Topic

Hole in cuben fiber – on purpose

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hole in cuben fiber – on purpose

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

I need to cut a hole in a cuben fiber stuff sack to install the fittings for my gravity filter. I'd like to reinforce this after I make the cut. I just used super glue and rubber washers on an older silnylon bag before. What should I use on the cuben? Tape? Glue? Thanks in advance!

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

If it were me attempting this, I would use heat to make the hole (a hot knife, something metal heated over a propane flame, etc.), then bond the reinforcing patch on with a liquid adhesive. Hysol U-09 works well. You could also use another urethane adhesive (Seamgrip, etc.), or a good contact cement.

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Thanks! What should I use for the reinforcing patch? I had thought of a circle of gorilla tape on each side since I don't have any spare cuben.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

What about the Cuben Adhesive Repair Tape?
    http://bearpawwd.com/fabrics_misc/fabrics_misc.html

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Great idea!

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

I ended up using a soldering iron to cut the hole and put tenacious tape on each side before doing so.. Then I added my fittings for the filter with a rubber washer on each side. Filled it with water and tested for leaks and it is water tight. Thanks for the replies!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools