Topic

lightweight eyeglasses case?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lightweight eyeglasses case?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

"… I require something that will help stop me from breaking them when I lay on my pack and put all the weight on the glasses :)"

Check out the plumbing aisle in Home Depot. A small section of PVC plastic pipe and two slip on plastic pipe caps should do the trick. The diameter and length of the PVC pipe would be wholly dependent on the size of your glasses.

It won't be the lightest but in the diameter that you'd be using I would think that it would be pretty hard to crush this "PVC eyeglass case" while inside of your pack.

Just a thought, try drilling some lightening holes through the PVC pipe to reduce the weight. This only works if you are trying to keep the glasses from being crushed and not completely protected from the elements.

Give some thought to the plastic mailing tubes pictured in my post above. If placed well inside of your pack they may do the trick and at less overall weight.

Party On,

Newton

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

"Check out the plumbing aisle in Home Depot. A small section of PVC plastic pipe and two slip on plastic pipe caps should do the trick. The diameter and length of the PVC pipe would be wholly dependent on the size of your glasses. "

my two piece pencil case affords all the protection i need for a very light weight.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

"Zenni's cool, and the case is very light and protective, though I haven't weighed it I am certain it's the lightest I've had. And it's free w/glasses purchase!!!!"

I agree. Zenni's cases are very lightweight and the glasses are cheap enough that you would care if you lost or damaged them. If I remember, I weigh one tonight after work.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The dollar stores have hard plastic cases that weigh 1 oz and cost 1 dollar. Hard to beat. I like Hanlon's idea of a pencil case and will be tracking one of those down. Nice find Steve.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I agree with Jon & Sara Crockrell and John Shannon it's what I use,$1 and 1 oz.

Jonathan Rozes

@jrozes

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

I went to my local pharmacy and asked for the biggest prescription bottle they had. For 25 cents, I got a 1.16 ounce case that fits my glasses perfectly.

Also, when it comes time to replace your glasses, consider the frames and lenses themselves. Many manufacturers use flexible metals that can be bent and twisted without losing their original shape. Some manufacturers offer screw-less construction, so there's nothing to fall out and lose. For lenses, polycarbonate or high-index plastic will be lighter and thinner than regular plastic or glass.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

THANK YOU Dave, love that milk jug solution for a glasses case.

With that case and a cut off light synthetic dress sock as a liner and I now have the best solution I've yet seeen.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools