Topic

SteriPEN Classic to Gatorade Adaptor

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear SteriPEN Classic to Gatorade Adaptor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

I like that the SteriPEN Classic’s tapered end provides a snug fit with Aquafina style bottles. It allows you to invert the SteriPEN and bottle for convenient and thorough stirring and treatment. However, I prefer wider mouth bottles such as Gatorade, Vitamin Water or Snapple.

I tried drilling a 15/16" hole in a Gatorade cap. It worked with the SteriPEN, but to get a good seal, I had to press the SteriPEN into the cap quite firmly. The relatively sharp edge of the hole was wearing on the tapered rubber of the SteriPEN.

By heating a brass plumb bob, it can be used to widen and taper a pilot hole into a very good adaptor for the SteriPEN. Weighs less than a gram.

Gatorade cap with 15/16" hole. This wasn't satisfactory (too rough on the SteriPEN).
    Steripen to Gatorade adaptor

Gatorade cap with tapered hole. This works great.
    Steripen to Gatorade adaptor

Together with SteriPEN, inverted.
    Steripen with Gatorade adaptor and bottle

Taper used to create adaptor.
    Plumb bob used to created SteriPEN to Gatorade adaptor

Inside of tapered adaptor before cleaning it up a bit.
    Inside of Steripen to Gatorade adaptor

Thanks for reading.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Great idea!

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

That's a cool idea you have there.

I have the Adventurer Opti and I really need something like this. Problem is the little LED beside the light tube. Anyone seen or know of any way to adapt the Adventurer to smaller bottles?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools