Topic

Parcho – pattern includes seam allowance?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Parcho – pattern includes seam allowance?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Marla,

Here's a couple of pictures of the wrist strap.wrist strapWrist strap open

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

@James,
    Thank you for the pics. I think I understand now.

@ Adam
    I only stitched the hood itself ánd sewed the hood into the front part. Then seamsealed the seams it last weekend.
    Bonding the rest with Cuben tape is really the easiest thing to do.

@Piper

Just do it! It's a very useful piece of raingear. " … I guess", I have to say.
    Because I still have to find out how it works when it's really bad wheather ;-)

Marla

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Since my last posting with photos I have altered the parcho in a few ways.

1. On the sides I put snaps (2 each side). I like my parcho open on the sides, as opposed to the original design where the sides are bonded. The snaps were necessary to keep the parcho in place in case of strong winds.
    2. Between front and back I put a ribbon, fixed with snaps, which stay between my legs, to prevent the parcho from being lifted in case of strong winds. This ribbon can also be doubled to the backside with a snap, in case I don't use it. I also use it to wind around the parcho after I folded it into a small package (so * don't need a stuffsack.
    3. In the neck I made a loop, so I can attach the parcho to my backpack with a small carabiner. That way I can put the parcho off and on on days that it rains once in a while. This still needs some more fixation, as one point proved to be not enough. Probable only two small carabiners to attach loops at the sleeve's ends to the load lifters of my backpack.

Of course this all added to the weight, I'm sorry to say ;-)
    The parcho weighs now about 150 grams (5.3 oz). For me it's worth it, because I still like the openness of the parcho.
    But I can imagine that for sake of weight you stick to the original design with closed sides. On the other hand you will need a full zipper in that case, which also adds to the weight.

I really love my parcho this way. I could use my parcho last month on a hiking trip and it was just like I expexted. Great part of my gear!

Only one thing still is a mystery to me. If velcro of the sleeves is not supposed to be winded around my wrist (too tight even with my small wrists) and if I understand James' pictures right, the sleeves don't protect very well. There must be a solution for this, meant by the designer Bill Gurwell, but I don't see it. I think I'm going to send him an email.

Marla

snaps on thes ides
    <ribbon between legsloop in the neck

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Nice work! I like that strap idea, I may have to borrow that idea.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools