Topic

Spring Break trips:

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Spring Break trips:

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

Anybody got any good spring break backpacks planned with scouts? We are going to Grand Gulch in So. Utah, for some desert hiking. We have 4 different groups with different routes, from 30-50 miles. I'm with the younger scouts, 11-12 year olds, on a 30 mile route. Our group has 6 scouts and 5 adults. Should be a good time.

Carl Zimmerman
    BPL Member

@carlz993

Never been in that area. Located this site that leads tour in the area. They listed three prospective routes that might be helpful.

http://www.fsguides.com/Trips-grandgulch.htm

David Affleck

@utcoyote

Sounds like a great trip to one of my favorite areas! I was down there three weeks ago to do some day hikes in the Gulch, but the TH access roads on the mesa top were a mucky mess of melting snow and mud. Got my Jeep stuck in a snow drift just before dark and by the time I had extracted myself, decided to leave the mesa and camp/hike where it was dry down in Butler Wash and on Comb Ridge instead. Got in 30 miles of day hikes in 2.5 days, saw only two people on the trails the whole time and enjoyed it immensely!

I'd guess it is dried out pretty well by now, I'm sure it will be by the time you get there.

I'll be hiking some slots a bit west of there next weekend. Can't wait!

– Dave

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

We had a good trip to Grand Gulch, with 11-13 year olds. The scouts did very well, hiking up to 6 miles in a day. And those were rough cross country bush whacking miles. Photos are here:

http://boisetroop100.wordpress.com/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools