Topic

Dog Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

hey all
    So I finally got around to getting Pepper her first very own pack. I went with the REI classic suggested, and it seems like a great pack.

Although the people at REI can be VERY helpful in fitting pack to a person, they didnt know much about a dog pack. I'm pretty sure I got her the right size, and it seems to fit nice, but there are a lot of adjustable straps. How should all of those be adjusted? whats a good fit? Im assuming tight enough to hold snugly in place, but loose enough to not restrict movement or chest expansion when deeply breathing.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Dan

Ray Rackiewicz

@rrackiewicz

I've tried numerous packs and I love the RuffWear Pallisades.

Pros: Sturdy. Comfortable. The packs mounts to a hardness so when you take a break you only have to unclip the bag assembly from the harness to relieve some weight from your pooch while resting and don't have to fight the whole darn thing on and off. Tons of storage. High quality craftsmanship. Doesn't rub my dog raw if fit correctly. We trail run and fastpack and short of him rolling over in the grass the pack is very steady.

Cons: over engineered with rugged materials and thus heavy. Worthless water bladders. No, weight distribution of water in both bags so you have to keep the weight even manually.

Great pack!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

As with people, dog pack fit is pretty individual. Not all dogs of the same size and weight are built the same!

Lengthy evaluation of dog packs:
    http://www.agilepooch.com/dogstuff/dogpacks/dogpacks.html

I use an older version of the Ruffwear Palisades on my dog Hysson. I replaced the mylar water bladders (really hard to open and close) with 1 liter Platypus bottles, which are quite a bit lighter. I really like having the pack detachable from his harness so I can remove the pack and help him with the harness on difficult sections. It also makes it a lot easier to just remove the pack bags at rest stops.

The way Hysson jams his pack into rocks and trees, he really needs a tough pack, even though it's heavier than I'd like.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

I did 15 miles (my longest distance ever) with my 18-20lb terrier mix a couple weekends ago in nice weather. Towards the end he showed signs of tiring, I wouldn't push it much further. How did I know he was tiring? #1 was I keep him on a retractable leash and normally he is at the end of the leash looking back at me like I am holding him back, he will get all ancy if he hears a lizard or squirrel off the side of the trail. Towards the end of the 15 miles he was lagging behind and ignoring lizards.

Couple things…

In my opinion it is irresponsible for a TON of reasons to hike with a dog off leash. Your dog could go after dangerous wildlife (bears, skunks, porcupine, poisonous snake, etc), your dog could harass wildlife, harass other hikers, harass other hikers dogs. Most dogs will tire out running up ahead then back to you, effectively doubling or more the distance they hike so if you are going 15 they are going 30-45 miles. Also puddles, most dogs will drink out of nasty, stale, mosquito infested puddles which I have read there are several fatal diseases they can get from those. I could probably go on but suffice it to say I believe in leashing my dog. I like the retractable leashes because it manages the slack so I don't have to. If I see other hikers coming I call him back in and lock him in by my side. Also I like him up ahead of me a good bit so I am not tripping over him if he stops to smell something. When I get to camp I can put the handle on a stick, stake it to the ground, whatever and the leash manages the slack and he can still move around.

As far as water, I let him drink straight from clean looking streams and moving water sources, I use the leash to not allow him to drink from puddles and stagnant water (which he will try to do).

As far as a water bowl, I carry either a small disposable Tupperware container (the thin kind) in my pocket so I can easily get to it, give him some water.

With my dog he won't eat his dry food when out hiking, he gets excited when traveling, hiking, hunting, whatever and just will go days without eating so I bring him those small packets of soft food to put on his dry food, mix it up then he eats it.

Sleeping he sleeps on my backpack with my driducks rain jacket, fleece, shirt or whatever under him so he has something to sink into. If it is cold I might bring him a little piece of a blanket I cut up for him.

Final advice is pay attention to the subtle differences in how your dog is acting. Dogs usually love their humans and will do anything for them include dying for them. I have grown up around hunting and hunting dogs and I have seen retrievers sitting in freezing water all day with ice forming on their private parts, ears and face but if you tried to get them to stop hunting they will pull away and fight you to stay doing what they are doing. I have heard stories of hog hunting dogs, pit bulls and terriers that will get slashes and have their guts hanging out and want to keep going, keep hunting. Dogs don't always know what the deal is they just love doing outdoor stuff, love being with their human, love pleasing their human so just because your dog is up for doing something, don't take that as a sure sign that they are fine doing it.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools