Topic

GoLite Jam2 Backpack REVIEW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable GoLite Jam2 Backpack REVIEW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Companion forum thread to:

GoLite Jam2 Backpack REVIEW

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Those compression straps are long.

Could a pad, like the GG NightLight Pad (sectioned torso-length or longer), or the Z-Rest (Z-lite, y'all know which one – it's that orange one that folds accordion style) be placed on the back of the pack and the compression straps brought around the BACK (instead of the FRONT like in the pics to compact the pack) to hold the Pad in place. If so, this would provide mega-cushioning to the wearer's back (it might NOT be necessary with the Jam^2???), and would free up pack volume if the user is NOT forming a v-frame by making a larger cylinder out of their sleep pad.

If i understood the Review, buckle gender won't be an issue here as it's essentially no different than when forming the Kompactor system, i.e. the straps still need to cross over and attach to the other side. The question here is, "Will they reach?"

Just a thought. Anyone have one of these packs & can comment.

Erin McKittrick
    BPL Member

@mckittre

Locale: Seldovia, Alaska

I wonder why the bottom of the pack still has the same fabric as the sides and top? I've done a lot of bushwhacking with an older GoLite pack (the Gust), and have had to replace the bottom three times when it developed enormous holes. This looks like a similar fabric to me. If they're targeting a crowd who wants a little more durability, they might add a couple ounces and put heavier fabric where it's needed.

Also, the shower test makes a nice picture, but it'd be more useful after the pack's been beat around for a month or two. Most backpacks come with some sort of water-resistance that looks good when it's new, but is precisely useless as soon as the pack is used at all. Is this any different?

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

PJ, in reponse to your question about the compression straps reaching around the back of the pack, I tried it with a NightLight pad and they are just too short. The pack would have to be half full thickness-wise and the backpanel pad removed for them to connect. The gender doesn't match in that direction either, so its a matter of one side connecting to the other, rather than connecting in the middle.

However, one could rig up an extension strap, with the correct genders, to connect the straps in the middle on the or back of the pack.

Hope this helps. Will

John Recktenwald

@johnrecktenwald

Locale: Alaska

I can't imagine why they would replace the excellent tool retention Velcros with bungees. I'm at a loss to understand why they dropped the short daisy chain in the center which was perfect for crampons. I know this pack appears in their backpacking section and not their Alpine section but it is a great Alpine pack.

The compression system looks like a significant improvement. Do the side pockets accommodate insulators for water bottles better than the Jam 1?

The real winner in the series looks like the Pinnacle which solves all the shortcomings of the Gust which I no longer use. I suspect I'll be getting one of these. A review please? Thanks

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Did I just see a picture of Will's ass?

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Will has taken "clothing worn to a new level.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Will, i realized that they won't connect together as you had made that clear in your excellent Review. I was hoping that since they were long enough to Kompact around the front, that they might reach around the back. Your idea of an extension strap sounds good, but maybe the whole idea is unecessary if the Jam^2 already has nice back padding.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I expected the hip wings to be longer judging from the pictures seen before I ordered the pack. After receiving my Jam2 I inquired of GoLite and it confirmed that the hip wings were shortened on the production pack because an evaluator had complained that they were too long. I can see where a high energy 18 year old evaluator with a 28” waist may want a smaller hip belt, but what about some of us (I recognize I may be alone here) older folks with a wider girth? GoLite also said that the wing length is the same on all sizes.

It never occurred to me that the compression straps might be used to wrap around the front of the pack but now that it has been raised, I experienced this problem on a pack several years ago and my wife solved it by sewing added lengths of strap which worked fine. Yes, I too miss the daisy chain which I am use to on the Trek. All things considered though, I really like this pack and look forward to carrying it.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I love my old Jam backpack. I think it is the best combination of lightweight and durability. I don't use it in winter due to what I feel is the weight carrying threshold that is limited by the rather meager design of the shoulder straps. The new Jam2 model seams to have upgraded this feature which probably makes it the perfect pack IMHO.

I too regret the loss of the daisy chain loops which I use extensively for everything from a clothes line to attaching my crocs. Please put them back GoLite!

Phil Stetz
    Spectator

@pstetz

Oh, my! Will, why are you wearing a hat for … you're in the shower! Great review though!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

He's wearing a BACKPACK– what's the big deal about a hat after that? :)

I use a lawn sprinkler to test packs and tents. I hang the pack on a patio chair and avoid such ordeals– and public humilation. My neighbor has asked what kind of fertilizer I prefer with hiking gear. I told him that was a marketing issue :)

I use a Jam and like it, but a little more space wouldn't bother me– especially for winter clothes.

todd matthews

@seaofclouds

i've had my eye on this pack for a while now, and for upcoming travels to australia and new zealand. once arriving in new zealand, i'll be doing a few four day treks with my brother who will help share the load. in between each trek, laundry is on the agenda, as well as getting to the next trek.

i'm having trouble deciding between this pack and the gregory z55. though the gregory isn't as light, it's very comfortable. two very different packs, i realize, but thought i'd get an idea here. if the golite had the suspension of the gregory, i'd be sold immediately. are there other options from different brands that are a better bet?

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

whilst in New Zealand buy an Aarn body pack http://www.aarnpacks.com. Different again but scientifically more efficient

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Are you planning on mainly staying in huts, or tarping/tenting? Makes a difference to the volume you may need…in other words, if you're just doing some of the "Great Walks" and staying in the huts, you won't need to carry shelter, mat or stove. It's the ultimate in UL if you don't mind the company and cost!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

You know you're hardcore ultralight when tossing on a pair of boxers for a public photo shoot is too heavy :)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools