Topic

GLs for Cold, Wet, and Windy Adventures

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists GLs for Cold, Wet, and Windy Adventures

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for lightweight and/or ultralight gear lists tailored for hiking/trekking in cold, wet, and windy environments. The type of weather you would run into in places like Ireland, Scotland, or coastal PNW.

If there is anyone on the forum with such gear lists in their user profiles, or if you know of any on external sites, either would be appreciated.

Thanks…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    simon hackett

@minimalgear

Locale: UK

Knows a lot about those conditions and he's just posted about good kit. Many TGO resources also.:
    http://www.andyhowell.info/trek-blog/

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

You can take a look at my gearlist, its for 3 seasons in the local mountain ranges, the Tararuas near Wellington, New Zealand. Nothing over 1600m in height but relatively rugged and muddy. Most tracks are rough or non-existant, and you follow bush covered spurs and ridges, or walk in the streams and rivers or on the tops in sub-alpine scrub. Weatherwise the Tararuas have 7000mm+ of rain per annum over 250+ days each year, snow and ice for 4 months and gale force winds or stronger most days, calm clear days on the weekends are like striking the lottery. I average a weekend trip a month and a couple of longer ones during holidays.

My gearlist isn't particularly light or new, I still use a tent and sleeping that I brought when I was university student 20 years ago. The Gust was brought 2nd hand but basically unused. I still use PVC raincoats and fleece. Most gear and clothing would be 7-10 years old but it works and lasts.

Hope it helps.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

My current profile gear list might be useful. It's oriented towards cold, wet winter conditions with lows down to 0F and daytime highs 20F or above. I just used it in the UP of Michigan earlier this month (Porcupine Mountains).

Edit: I did make a few last minute gear selection changes, such as using a Copper Spur UL1 tent instead of the Scarp 2 fly, a 0F bag, and skipping the sleeping bag dry sack (used compactor liner instead). The wood stove was complete fail in the combination of deep snow and a popular destination where most standing dead wood has already been used by others.

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Andrew Skurka has a good discussion about this in his book and maybe in his blog too. Also check Chris Townsend Christownsendoutdoors.com, he lives in Scotland so knows a thing or two about that kind of weather.

If it's consistently cool and you are not out for ages my best tip is Paramo/Cioch Direct clothing, waterproof, warm, very breathable and comfy. See reviews on BPL.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools