Topic

New Balance MT1110 – Are They Durable?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Balance MT1110 – Are They Durable?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    David Hankins
    BPL Member

@hankinsohl

Locale: Pacific Northwest

New Balance seems to have redesigned the MT1110 trail runners. Previously, this model was known as "MT1110 GT" and featured a waterproof Gor-Tex liner. The new model, sans the "GT" designation, omits the Gore-Tex liner (most likely due to a manufacturing defect as documented here.

Does anyone have any experience with the new MT1110 model? I'm worried that these shoes might not be very durable. Unlike some New Balance models which are manufacured in the USA, the MT1110 is produced in China. The overall workmanship seems suspect.

Poor Gluing

Poor Gluing

Tongue Stiching Coming Loose

Stitching at Tongue Coming Loose

Given the problems with the original MT1110 GT, I'm a bit leary of the MT1110. I'm also considering a pair of New Balance MT810 shoes. The MT810 shoes are made in the USA and appear to be of much higher quality. However, the MT1110 shoes are lighter: 21.7 oz for the pair versus 26.5 oz for the MT810.

If the workmanship problems I've spotted in the MT1110 are merely cosmetic, I'd prefer to hike in them; however, if the problems I've noticed are symptomatic of overall poor design and low durability, I'll have to go with the MT810.

Note that my feet are very wide which, unfortunately limits my choice of trail runner to New Balance models.

In summary: does anyone have any experience with the new New Balance MT1110 trail runners? Are they durable?

David Hankins
    BPL Member

@hankinsohl

Bump for weekend.

Does anyone have feedback on the new New Balance MT1110 shoes?

David Hankins
    BPL Member

@hankinsohl

Well, I guess that these shoes are just too new – no one has tried them yet.

I've decided to keep the MT1110's. Hopefully the defects I noticed are simply cosmetic.

I really hope these shoes work out. They've got a number of good things going for them:

* Fairly lightweight – 21.7 oz for the pair
    * Full rockstop sole
    * Non-slip laces
    * Very quick drying mesh
    * Comes in a wide size (4E)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

order it from somewhere with a no questions asked warranty …

Jason Emerick

@jemerick

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I just ordered a couple pairs of MT110's and the MT1110's from zappos to try on and compare to see which ones I prefer. They should be here Thursday or Friday and will let you know how they look and if I decide to keep either or both.

Patrick Kline
    BPL Member

@skibrec

Locale: East Coast USA

How do you all like these shoes? Have you used them for backpacking?

Thanks,
    -Patrick

Patrick Kline
    BPL Member

@skibrec

How did the shoes hold up and would you recommend them?

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Saw these yesterday at Roadrunner and quite liked them. Would be great to hear from someone who's used them.

Jason Emerick

@jemerick

I ultimately decided to keep the MT1110s. When I received them, I noticed the same quality of workmanship as the first post showed but decided to keep them and give them a try.

I have worn them on two weekend backpacking trips so far. The first day on the trail with them I hit a rock or stick and it ended up making a small hole in the mesh by my right big toe which I later repaired with some shoe goo (see picture below). The second trip I did not have any issues with them but also tried to be a bit less clumsy. I also walked through a creek with them on (ok, I slipped off the rock…) and they seem to drain and dry pretty well which lends to them breathing pretty well. Overall they have been pretty comfortable and I have been happy with them and will continue to wear them though the toe mesh may not be as durable as I would have liked but that might have to be a sacrifice for breathability.

mt1110 repair

Patrick Kline
    BPL Member

@skibrec

Thanks for the quick reply on your initial testing of the shoes. I wasn't able to try on a 4E, but I did try on the regular width in a size 12. I have one one thumb width from my big toe to the front of shoe. I tried on the 13, but am afraid to order at 13 4E and be swimming in the shoe. My road running shoes are Nike Pegasus 12.5 4E. Since New Balance doesn't make this in a 12.5 I'm wondering what I should do.

I'm scheduled to do the West Coast Trail in July and thinking about using a trail runner.

Comments/questions/concerns are welcome.

Thanks,
    -Patrick.

Jason Emerick

@jemerick

I ended up getting a half size bigger than my NB road running shoes that I have. 11.5 2E.

When trying new shoes, I typically order 2 or 3 different sizes from Zappos to try on and then return the ones that I don't like or all of them. Zappos has pretty fast shipping, I typically get them within 2 days of when I ordered them and they process returns in about 7 days from when you ship them back. Shipping is free both ways.

I actually ultimately ended up ordering them from Amazon since they were about $10 cheaper. Looks like Amazon shipping is free both ways as well (though I have Prime for faster free shipping and I didn't try and return these to Amazon).

nathan t

@nathant

@David – I bought a pair of these for my sister who trail runs (or did a lot more before her son was born). A bit late for answering your question buy I will convey her feedback for those who read this thread and find it useful.
    – She's a 2A with high arches and finds the width right and arch support decent
    – She finds them a little clunky compared to the 110s, but likes them better than her old 876s
    – Durability has been good but she's more of a "drive to a trailhead / go for a run" type than an ultramarathoner.

Overall, good pickup for her. I work at a retailer that sells NB and my personal opinion about US-made NB shoes vs. China-made is that the US-made models tend to be shy on the fit-and-finish – like having glue hanging out over the edge of the outsole, etc – but they tend to be solid overall. I think the people in the Maine factories try to work as fast as they can to keep the factory competitive. The US-made models tend to be the higher-end models too – the 990, 1080, etc.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Patrick Kline
    BPL Member

@skibrec

Their 4E wasn't wide enough for me and my orthotics.

David Hankins
    BPL Member

@hankinsohl

I used the MT1110s on a hike in the Emigrant Wilderness Area. After just 3 days both my toes developed large blisters. It seems that these shoes (in 4E width) simply aren't wide enough for me.

In all, I hiked about 30 miles in the MT1110s. They stood up well to the rough terrain; the rock-stop soles did a nice job of cushioning my feet against the granite rocks common on the Sierra trails. Except for the blisters, I really liked these shoes.

Sadly, it looks as if I'll be forced into wearing one of New Balance's 6E width models, none of which are trail runners.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools