Topic

Why do you keep deleting my posts?!?!?!?!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Why do you keep deleting my posts?!?!?!?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I am guessing your profile picture wasn't always what it currently is?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Your profile photo seems a likely reason.

Or maybe the excessive puncuation?

In grade school, they now ask students to consider, "It is true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?" before speaking. Three Yeses being both the min and max.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Give you three guesses!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Not a member, no care?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Please read the headings to the Forums for the general rules.

For all posting on channels other than Chaff, the poster is required to stay reasonably (moderately? vaguely?) close to the subject of the thread. We are fairly relaxed about this in practice.

Any spam gets deleted as fast as we see it. Yes, we do have some problems here.

As we have many minors reading these channels, we do require that all postings in all channels, including Chaff, be polite and non-vulgar. When someone starts swearing or being rude or vulgar, that posting gets deleted.

If you feel that a lot of your postings have been deleted, please read the above for an explanation.

Yours
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Paul's not the only one. All those who participated in the lighthearted "bumping" thread were all deleted. That discussion was not breaking any of the"rules". No explanation given. Just happened. Sounds like Ryan's MO.

Uncool.

I

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I think anyone that posted something that got deleted has no reason to feel persecuted, Roger and anyone else are pretty reasonable, thanks

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Your avatar is inconsistent with your claims

David Ure

@familyguy

bump

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Jerry's comments are neither stupid or antagonizing IMO.

Guest – A person who receives the hospitality of a club, a city, or the like.

"I will happily stop posting".

Newton

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Thanks Paul, much better

Johny Cash not offensive, Johny Cash making offensive gesture is offensive

"was Jesus Homosexual" was a childish provocative statement, you got me there : )

Personally, I don't consider your statements or pictures offensive.

What I consider offensive is you saying disrespectful things about other people.

Sometimes I will respond, although Roger and mods don't really need me to stand up for them.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Maybe quit worrying about people deleting your posts?

More interesting to think about hiking gear or trips

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Paul,

I have been here a little longer than you and often make people so mad that they call me names. My favorite attack was being called a cretin.

I have never had one of my posts deleted or editied (unless an entire thread was deleted), not a single thread that I have created has been deleted.

Perhaps you may want to review the tonality of your posts? Seems you are having more problems than just about anyone here on BPL.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

ertuy

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> 2) I posted that I had an equivalent shirt in a size someone was asking for in a FS
    > thread and that was deleted.
    Correct. As the guidelines clearly state, you can only post For Sale things if you are a Member. You can buy things which have been posted by Members of course.

> 4) Except for me saying p***ing in the OP of this thread, I do not use profanity and
    > to my knowledge, anything truly offensive.
    Opinions differ. I found a number of your postings to be something I would not want minors to read here at BPL. In some cases it was the language, in other cases it was the very aggressive tone used. This has been commented on by many other readers.

> 5) The fact that the naked hiking thread is still around, which includes photos of,
    > yup you guessed it, naked hikers yet some of my posts have been deleted is ABSURD!!!!
    Opinions differ. Nothing offensive about a naked hiker, although I would be concerned about the risk of sunburn.

> 6) Lastly, if any of this is because I'm a semi-regular poster and haven't paid for
    > a membership, please just say so. I will happily stop posting. I feel that would be
    > a more professional way of handling the situation instead of just randomly deleting
    > my posts and driving me away.
    Non-Member postings are welcome. There are far, far more of them too.
    I do not delete any posting in a 'random' manner. I dislike censorship in all forms, but I am responsible for keeping the Forum channels polite and a pleasant place to visit.

As several others have noted (see above this) with some disapproval, your postings have been conspicuous for their language and tone.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Whenever posts get nasty or hostile, I grow saddened with BPL and often stay away from the site for a few days. It just becomes a less satisfying experience.

As Nick mentioned, there's a way to be sarcastic when replying to an emotional issue or idea, and possible to even be a contrarian, all while maintaining playful civility.

It's better when site users themselves help police the situation or lighten the mood (may the trail gods bless Doug Ide for many witty, timely thread savers), but I support BPL management in general and Roger in particular for stepping in at times.

As a rule, anything ad hominem will cause a thread to head south in a hurry, and not in the SOBO sense (AT or Vodou).

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I quit."

P. Larson, you promised this to us once before.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

What is a WTB thread?

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Want to buy?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"So if someone post a WTB thread, I cannot say that I have an item? That's ridiculous."

You see it however you wish. But for practical advice, when someone is looking for stuff and you've got one to sell, try PM (private message) instead.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Sure, what are you selling?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

If someone post's a want to buy thread you can't say that you have an item?

That's weird

Is that part of the rule you can't do a Gear Swap unless you're a member?

If so, then that's the rule, no use fretting over it, whatever…

Okay, let's see some photos of backpacking trips

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> If someone posts a want to buy thread you can't say that you have an item?
    You are perfectly free to email or PM them privately, offering your gear.

Cheers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools