Topic

Summer storm shelter for two. Ideas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Summer storm shelter for two. Ideas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Ron W

@miles2go

Locale: White River National Forest

It sounds like the Canadian Rockies won't be a problem for a big shelter-footprint and I didn't expect it would but during my forum research I came across at least one owner commenting about tightness in some camps with the Shangri-La 3. Thanks for that link. The illustrated pitch would indeed make the SL3 more versatile.

I've also read some comments about duo mids being a bit cramped and in someone's words not suitable for 2. That makes me feel even better about the SL3 if I go that direction.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Ron, I would agree with the duomid being a bit cramped for two people. It can work, but since the walls slope in pretty aggressively, I mostly use it as a solo shelter.

I think the SL3 will work out just fine; pretty lightweight, plenty of space, and holds up in bad weather.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I love the SL3. I've weathered many rainstorms comfortably with two people in it. Absolute rain palace for one at only 24oz. for the fly.
    And if the campsite is tight, pitch it as a mid.

http://sweepingthegarden.wordpress.com/2010/12/27/golite-shangri-la-3-hex-to-mid-conversion/

As a mid the dimensions are almost identical to the MLD Duomid.

Ron W

@miles2go

What's light transmission like on the SL3, with the door closed down for weather protection?

I think the model being sold now has two peak vents. Did they go from 1 to 3 and then 2? Any other changes to be aware of from the last edition to the one currently being sold on the Golite site?

Getting down to decision time. I always like to go once more around the horn.

No one is tuned in with a MLD SuperMid they are looking to move? lol.

I'll be buying something by tomorrow and scouring the net again tonight.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I havent used the Scarp 2 but I have used a Scarp 1 with two folk in it (fly sheet only) in 70mph+ gust and it faired well.

Ron W

@miles2go

Was that your account where the tent was greatly deforming throughout the night as you braced it from inside until you basically were so mentally fatigued that you simply didn't care any longer and fell asleep? I could be wrong, I've been reading an awful lot of reviews lately.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools