Topic

Winter pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Winter pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Joe Federici

@need2boat

Locale: North East

This pack is basically the full size G-4 without the wings at the bottom and pockets lowered. I needed something for the winter that would allow for extra gear including snow shoes. The snow shoes provided some problems as I still wanted a place for a water bottle on the side. I looked at putting them, on top, both on one side, and even inside. In the end I've decided to going with attaching them to the front with straps. I haven't had the time to pack it with real gear yet but it should work out well. In hind sight I think the top most compression strap on the side is a bit to high. I may just cut them off if I don't end up using them.

I used a few different fabrics that I already had. The body is from black 8.0 oz ripstop Spectra and gray 1.9 oz poly coated ripstop. The pockets are from gray 0.8 oz SpinnTex Pro. I also used it for the first 1/2 of the collar to cut weight. The belt and shoulder straps use 3-D mesh, and I added 1/8 in closed cell foam to the top 12" of the shoulder straps. I did not put pockets in either.

Winter pack with gear

3/4 view of pack

Shoulder straps and wast belt, 3-D mesh

Removable Y type Strap: front

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Wow… nicely done. If you would've said you bought it somewhere i also would have believed it. How much does it weigh? What's the volume?

Eins

Joe Federici

@need2boat

Thanks for the kind words and posting. I will need to weigh it tonight after the seam seal dries. I just happen to start on it this AM.

The volume I'm getting using an on-line calculator is 2200 for the pack and another 968 for the collar if it were unrolled. Although the collar isn't really a rectangle so I'm sure it's a bit less.

The body of of the pack is 11X8X25 with an 11" collar. It looks hudge to me but in the winter right now I'm carrying a pair of down pants and pullover to extend the ratting of my bag. The weight of all three is still less then a heavy weight winther bag but takes a bit more space in the pack.

JFF

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

As was already said: I can't tell you didn't buy it. I only wish I knew how!!!

-Todd

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Wow! That looks great Joe! I'm looking forward to seeing the weight on that puppy as well! You did a great job on it regardless!

Tom

Joe Federici

@need2boat

OK Weighted it when I got home tonight. It's 13.8oz. I thnk consider the the fabric and size seems OK.

I could have used lighter weight stuff but I was worried my ice axe and snow shoes would wear it out.

JFF

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Joe,

13,8 oz is a great weight for a winer pack. My original G4 that i bought at Gossamer Gear weighs a bit over 16 oz. I think a 50+ liter winterbackack weighing in at 13,8 oz is perfect.

Now take it out.

Eins

Joe Federici

@need2boat

I'm heading out tonight for 2 nights in the catskills NY. The temps are looking good at around 30 in the day time.

JFF

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Awesome job, Joe! Yeah, 13 oz is excellent for a winter pack. Those snowshoes look like the MSR Lightning Ascents – I have those and love 'em. Strapping them on the outside, I do think they would wear out a less durable pack. Good choice. Let us know how it works!

Joe Federici

@need2boat

Yes they are the MSR and I agree they are great.

I've tried attaching them a few way. In the picture they are on the side but often I've been attaching them to the front because I don't use that pocket a lot in the winter because the ice axe is already blocking it.

I added two 3/4 loop locks on each side that I string a piece of 3/4 gross grain with 2 light weight D rings to tighten them up. It’s the same idea as compression straps but removable. I’ve also experimented with putting them on top and inside but both don’t work well

JFF

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

Just a thought, but with the side pockets being made of sil-nylon won't any water or snow accumulate there and slowly just pool to leach into the pack? What about adding a drain hole?

Joe Federici

@need2boat

I have not found that to be the case in the winter. I find with mesh pockets when you brush up on trees and sit the pack down the fabric clings more to the snow. The same is true of falling snow. I find it clings to the mesh more.

I have put a 2 button holes under the side pockets just incase of a lot of water. I also carry a pack cover it it looks like really heavy snow but I find water is more of an issue in the summer.

On my summer pack however I have used mesh pockets and really like them. I also always use shock coard at the top and that helps keep out water and snow.

Smaller summer pack with mesh pockets

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I think it might be time to try and modify my current pack, or make my own. Where did you get the plans for this? It looks great.

Are there 2 lashing/compression straps on the side for use with snowshoes?

Joe Federici

@need2boat

Joe-

Which of the two packs are you asking about. The Gray pack which this thred was started for does have lashing straps on the side although I carry my snow shoes on the front most of the time.

The second pack in Red is my first pack I made and did not use compression straps on the sides because I didn't think I'd be using it in the winter.

I'm currently working on a winter day pack that is based off the breeze pack by golite. It will be 6X11X21.

At this point I just make my own patterns but in the past have used a few different sources for ideas. The best of wich are the free ones for the G-4 pack on the gossamer gear site. You can just take his pattern and directions and make it a bit smaller.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/myog.html

If you've got Rays book he also has some directions but they are very basic.

Good luck

JFF

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Thanks for the info. I have Ray's book, but I have not gotten that far yet (it may take a while…bathroom reading!).

I think the most daunting part is buying the supplies. Thru-Hiker doesn't have any pictures of the supplies, so I know not what to get. Where do you get your supplies?

I currently have a daypack which I may modify to make it work. I like my current daypack, but it is missing a few things. However, I may look into the Gossamer plans.

Yeah, I REALLY like the winter pack you made. I may make some adjustments for my needs, but still great overall.

About how much did you think it cost you to make?

Joe Federici

@need2boat

It's around the last chapter in Rays book so you can just flip to the end. The last few chapters are filler anway. :-)

If you download The Gossmer gear directions he gives you a detailed list of fabrics. To make it even easier quest outfitters will also sell you a kit for just a few dollars over the cost of fabric and it comes with full size patterens and Glen has a yahoo group to answer and questions.

If this is your first time trying sewing I would try making it first out of an old cotton bed sheet. Yes this takes a lot of time but you will thank me in the end.

Other then quest I buy 90% of my stuff at outdoor wilderness fabrics.
    http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/fabricmain.htm

You'll find they all carry about the same basic fabrics but one may have a color your looking for or a particular piece of hardware you like. I try to buy everything at one place to save on shipping.

Thur-hiker is a great place to buy some stuff but I mostly buy odd things like mini binders or a particular fabric.

chiu chi ying

@enochchiu

Hi Joe Federici

This is a really nice pack!I am dreaming for a pack like this. Could you mind make more one for me?
    And could you leave your contact information or contact me at [email protected] directly
    I am looking for your reply.

Yours sincerely
    Enoch

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Joe, are you selling these on ebay or something? There seems to be a demand. Im sure you already thought of this, just wondering what the answer is.
    Thanks.

Joe Federici

@need2boat

Thanks both for the kind words and truth be told I enjoy sewing often more then my day job but don't have plans to make them for sale at this point.

When you stop and figure out time and fabric I just can see doing it for what someone like Gossamer or mountain laurel designs sell them for.

JFF

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Joe,
    Excellent Pack! Your sewing looks amazing and I really like the design. One question: The way you attached your MSR Ascents looks like the teeth would cut right into the side panel. Am I missing something?

Joe Federici

@need2boat

When that picture was taken I was just playing around with placement. I do agree if left like that they may cut into the side but I think it depends on how tight you have them. you could also flip them around and put one of each side.

In the end I put them on the front of the pack as I like to use the side pockets. I added 3/4 loop locks, two per side as tie down points. It works out well.

I'm currently working on a new design to use for day hikes and I'm going to add a small pocket for them it sit it. kind of like Bill did on his pack.

Joe F

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

i'm looking forward to seeing the new daypack.

i have decreed that i will modify my current daypack by adding a much-needed pocket, and possibly some spots for lashing straps.

i will start by making a few stuff sacks.

speaking of stuff sacks, i plan on modifying an inadequate Camelbak pack by integrating a stuff sack onto it, similar to the REI Flash UL

Joe Federici

@need2boat

Stuff sacks are always a good place to start. Thru hiker has some good directions and kits. You can get a free patern for straps from Gossmer gear, just download the G-4 pattern to use to for make something like the REI Flash

Just last night I found out about a site in the UK that sell and offers shareware patters and fabric.

http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/designs.php

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

I will try to post B&A pix.

(Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread).

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools