Topic

Closed cell foam for side sleepers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Closed cell foam for side sleepers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Which pad do you guys recommend? Thanks.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

I'm a side sleeper, and I've always been just fine with my Ridgerest. A lot more comfortable than the other foam pads I've used

Timm DeSalis

@timmy_toes

Locale: philly

Hey i sleep on my side and took a old sleeping pad and cut out a donut out of it and put it on my hip to help give it some support. Helped me tons, also i use a gossamer pad.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

Instead of bringing extra padding, do a bit of digging to contour the ground under you to your shape. I got this from Edward Abbey: scoop two shallow trenches out of the soil perpendicular to the length of your pad, one near your shoulders and one at your hips. If you put the depressions in the right place, your hips and shoulders will be accommodated while your back stays straight.

(Of course, don't do this if you're camping on a pristine site with fragile soil, LNT, etc., etc.)

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I've had success adding an extra layer of foam on top of the pad under my hip and shoulder:

pad

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Before I got my neo air, I used a thermarest z-lite. I found that folding it in half, dramatically increases comfort. I just put my backpack under my feet.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I use a ridgerest which is ok most of the time. If i'm on a sandy camp site I'll also dig trenches to boost comfort too. I'm a fairly light sleeper though when backpacking so a full night's sleep is a low priority (I still wake up more refreshed in the woods than I do in the city).

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Had a Z-lite and Wally World blue pad, sore hips and shoulder woke me up during the night so I switched to an air pad. I hate fussing with the air pad, so I'm gonna try foam again, 1/2" foam pad from Big 5. Feels more comfortable, but it's bulky.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

"I've had success adding an extra layer of foam on top of the pad under my hip and shoulder:"

I do something similar with my sit pad. It always goes under my main pad under my hips.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Colin's idea has a secondary benefit. Keep the smaller 2nd pad on the outside of your pack and you'll have a comfortable sit pad for rest and meal stops.

I used to be ok with just a 20×72 Ridgerest pad. Did a LOT of the PCT with one. However, as I aged (and being a rolly-polly side sleeper) I found this gradually less comfortable. I now use a Thermarest Prolite Plus 47x20x1.5 inflatable that also serves as a framesheet for my pack. I carry a 24×20 piece of old Ridgerest on the outside as a sit pad during the day, and I double it over (10×24) inside the foot of my sleeping bag at night to make up for both the length and heighth of the inflatable. I can not sleep with my feet on the ground. Just doesn't work!

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

I use a Z-Lite and either use my Z-seat or the foam pad from Pack as an extra pad for my hips. Works great. I'm a side and stomach sleeper who is very restless and the combo still works quite well.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

Been using a Gossamer Gear Nightlight pad for the past couple of trips. Cut it down to 45" long. Switched back to a CCF pad from an air pad because I grew tired of inflating and deflating it. Wanted something simple and have been very pleased with my selection.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

@Wandering Bob,

I currently use a torso sized Ridgerest pad. I am also a side sleeper in search a better nights sleep. ;-)

Do you use the Prolite Plus rolled or folded as a framesheet in your pack?

If you fold your pad is there a pad pocket inside of your pack and what make and model of pack is it?

Party On,

Newton

@Bob

I got the PM, thanks.

Newton ;-)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I duct tape a 4" strip of ensolite to my left side.

No, not really. But it makes me think, because that's really all that does me any good.

Could I stich a sleeve in whatever I use as sleeping clothes and insert such a strip of CCF for nighttime? That would save 5-6 ounces, AND a lot of volume, and I could go to a thicker pad because it would be so small in area.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

David, I've thought about those kinds of remedies, too. It seems that side-sleeping offers an interesting MYOG sleeping pad opportunity. As side sleepers, our contact area with the ground is much smaller than a back (or stomach) sleeper, but I (and maybe most side-sleepers) tend to figet (curling and uncurling, etc.).

When I was playing around a bit with aerogel MYOG sleeping pads a couple of years ago I made one that looked like a centipede. It was 12" wide, 1" thick, and segmented so it could curve to fit under me when I was curled up on my side. The pieces were joined with a single length of grosgrain that ran down the middle on the underside. I intended to make clips for a quilt to attach to the edges of each pad segment in several places. I still think this might be a serviceable idea.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools