Topic

Deodorant in a chapstick tube

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Deodorant in a chapstick tube

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

As an alternative to recycling chapstick dispensers, all these work as well. (As I'm one of those who prefer using deodorant, and washing where I can)
    Band-Aid Friction Block Stick .34 oz.
    Band-Aid Friction Block Stick .34 oz. (Already mentioned in Tyler's post)
    Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids SPF#70 Stick 0.47 oz.
    Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Stick 0.47 oz. There is also a Baby Version as well – same size
    Bodyglide Anti-chafe Balm Pocket Size .21oz
    Bodyglide Anti-chafe Balm Pocket Size .21oz – somewhat awkward to use as a deodorant dispenser, but still works.

For me, the Band-Aid Friction Block size dispenser lasts a week (with one application per day)

No need to melt a commercial product, as the deodorants I use (which are not antiperspirants) easily "extrude" into the empty container.

Sterling Johnson

@sterlingjohnson

Wow! what a coincidince! I had been thinking about this for a while and thought I might as well try it. Although I used original scent old spice the concept is still the same.I think I did mine about two to three weeks ago and it works really well for when you dont need a full stick, like I leave in in my gym locker. To solve the problem of maybe putting it on my lips, since I store it next to my chapstick, I sanded off the labels and boldly labeled it "DEODERANT". Anyway, happy trails.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Not wishing to offend anyone, but I find the whole idea of taking a deodorant walking to be strange and rather pointless.

Since the normal method of action for a deodorant is to block your sweat glands, either this is a bad idea or it simply won't work (like when climbing a hill).

Cheers

Andrew McAlister
    Spectator

@mcalista

Roger,

I kinda agree, but I imagine it would still be useful when resupplying in trail towns, or travelling home afterwards with non-hikers.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Roger, for a smart guy, you seem to have mixed up the functions of deodorants and antiperspirants. Killing bacteria whose byproducts smell bad is one effect and is different that stopping sweating which cools the body.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi David

> mixed up the functions of deodorants and antiperspirants.
    Point.
    I get confused by the marketing claims for all this stuff. The ads I've seen don't make a great distinction – not that I have paid them much attention anyhow.

My experience has been that once I cool down and dry off, whatever smell there is drops significantly. Great fuss about nothing.

Cheers

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> My experience has been that once I cool down and dry off, whatever smell there is drops significantly.

Different people have different bacterial flora on their bodies, determined by a whole range of factors, and exacerbated by the type of clothing they wear. It may be that your body has a 'benign' flora, that means you don't smell too bad. Others may not be so lucky, and they may honk.

Or they may wear Helly Hansen LIFA base layers…

I don't wear deodorant or antiperspirant, and I'm lucky that I don't stink too badly, unless I'm doing something where I'll be very anxious or scared. I usually carry a small atomiser of alcohol-based eau de cologne of some mild fragance, and give a squirt in morning and after I've had a quick wash.

Ron Jameson
    BPL Member

@tigerpaws

Locale: Upstate SC

Y'all just need to learn to embrace the funk!!
    BigRed77

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

RE: Ron's "Y'all just need to learn to embrace the funk!!"

LOL

Actually, I for one, have gone that route and after smelling up my clothes, my quilt (which is a pain to wash), and my sleeping pad (=amazingly) … not to mention the aromatic inconvenience of sharing a shelter – I've made the personal decision to minimize "the funk" when & where it can be pragmatic. This thread is mostly focused on one of the logistical aspects of that (i.e. lightweight deodorant … the other is the quick on-the-go "wash up" … but that's a topic for another post)

Think of as a HYOH thing ;-)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I take a splash of hand sanitizer and throw it on my armpits. It works well.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

The problem with deodorants, including the herbal ones and not unscented antiperspirants is that deodorants invariably contain ingredients that have a scent that attracts critters.

One example was when I borrowed a friends sunscreen because mine was in the bottom of my pack.
    She had been bothered by flying insects something fierce, while I wasn't, at least until I used her sunscreen.

The issue is not just bugs, other animals can be attracted and may want to chew through your gear following the scent.

No deodorant/antiperspirant is the only way to go when backpacking.

Nice to have something for off the trail though. The only reason I would carry any.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

More chemicals and crap to add to the ever growing abundance of chemicals and crap we put into this world and onto our bodies.

No deodorant here, on or off the trail.

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

First, an apology for taking this thread off topic. This is just an out-of-left-field observation …

RE: "More chemicals and crap to add to the ever growing abundance of chemicals and crap we put into this world and onto our bodies."

hmm, by substituting out the word "onto" with "into" in the above statement, that would make that philosophical approach apply to food as well.

For food, one can't utilize the "opt out" approach … maybe instead, utilize an "organic vegan" approach?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Locale: Orlando FL

I agree that perfumes don't belong on the trail, but I read somewhere that anti-perspirant can be used on the feet to reduce feet sweating.

I found some alum based unscented anti-perspirant in the pharmacy and bought it with the intent of keeping a small amount of it in my foot care kit.

Does anyone use anti-perspirant on their feet ?

Unrelated but is Triclosan treated baby wipes or gels bad for you ?

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

I started using anti-perspirant (creme) back in the 80's when I was climbing in plastic boots a lot, works great for keeping your feet dry and reducing blisters.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools