Topic

Deodorant in a chapstick tube

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Deodorant in a chapstick tube

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

When I backpack alone, I grow a beard and don't use deodorant. When I backpack with my girlfriend, I shave, wash my face, take cat baths, and wear unscented deodorant. In the past, I have always just broken a piece off of a deodorant stick, put it in a little bag, and applied it with my fingers. I found myself thinking recently, as I wiped deodorant off my fingers, "Wouldn't it be handy to have a tiny deodorant stick, with a cap?"

Just melt a little bit of solid unscented deodorant in the microwave and pour it into an empty chapstick tube. Maybe someone has already invented this.

stick

stick open

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Very clever. I haven't seen this idea before.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Ha! Very nice. Probably last 3-4 days?

Ryan

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I have done this but if you use these smaller push up chapsticks it is easier to fill and lighter(look at the two packs in center of photo,it comes with one regular size and one smaller sample size)the smaller sample size is a push up tube instead of the usual twist up.I also replace the chapstick with a different one I like better.There is no need to melt it.

http://www.dollartree.com/health-personal-care/bath-products/Beauty-Supplies-Cosmetics/Chap-Ice-Lip-Balm/211c243c351p5588/index.pro?method=search

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Couldn't find the one you recommended but this seller has empty tubes. I just bought a complete kit on sale at e-bay. Nice that they are clear so you can see what's left.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180817184476#ht_536wt_1085

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Great idea. I've seen the same thing done with shaving soap.

Another great item is a small block of alum or an alum stick. It's truly a versatile item with many multi uses:

Deodorant, aftershave, antiseptic (great for scrapes etc).

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Clever! When I'm trying to be less offensive on trips, I use these deodorant towelettes I found at minimus.biz. They're pretty small, light and work well. Despite what the name implies, there's no real scent. (no offense to UL'ers in LA, of course) ;)

Minimus.biz – LA Fresh Deodorant Wipes

LA Fresh

Don Meredith
    lightpack.blogspot.com

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I like having something I can refill without the garbage ,what are the chemicals listed for the wipe?I use a natural one that I know I won't have an allergic reaction to.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Anna, you can find the ingredients on the product website. It has the typical list of contents that we're all accustomed to. They actually did a nice job with the waste management element. The pouch and the wipe itself are thin, minimalist materials without being so thin that they're fragile. The towel is biodegradable according to the packaging. I probably use them 3x a year since I don't bother to carry them most trips. I can still manage to look at myself in the mirror. ;)

As always, the lightest and lowest impact solution is to not carry any at all. It's ultimately an unnecessary vanity product.

DM

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I generally use mine to put my favorite chapstick in since it is smaller and I don't like the ones that you have to use your fingers to apply.I have occasionally used it to for deodorant but I couldn't find the contents on the site you gave,I will look again.I have had allergic reactions to some deodorants so if I do decide to bring it I know I am safe.So you bring a mirror to look at yourself? interesting :)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Wow, you must have some tiny pits.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I am very small 5' and my weight fluctuates between 100 and 107lb

Jack Hoster

@orlandohanger

You wouldn't want to get it mixed up with your real chapstick. Dry lips and glossy pits.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

If you wanted something slightly larger I suppose you could do the same thing with one of these. With friction block the weight on my scale is 25 grams or .9 oz.

Friction Block

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"When I backpack alone, I grow a beard and don't use deodorant. When I backpack with my girlfriend, I shave, wash my face, take cat baths, and wear unscented deodorant."

When I am NOT backpacking, I grow a beard and don't use deodorant. However, I do take a shower occasionally. :)

Ron White
    Spectator

@roddyrat

Locale: Southern Indiana

I just made one today very easy. I shaved some of my regular deodorant into a small container and microwaved for only a few seconds and it was melted. Poured it into an empty chapstick tube and viola it was done! Can't wait to try it in a couple of weeks.

Rob Daly
    BPL Member

@rdaly-2

Locale: outdoors amap

Another cool idea on the forum. Let us know how it works out.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Just make your girlfriend doesn't mistake it for chapstick and use it after you.. yuck

in1

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I found a recipe:

1/4 cup aloe vera gel
    1/4 cup mineral water
    1/4 cup Witch Hazel Extract
    1 tsp vegetable glycerin
    a few drops of essential oils (antibacterial in nature)
    (lavender, tee tree oil, etc)

You could take the liquid out of a bottle of roll-on too.

Then it is just the UL trick of decanting to the smallest possible container.

Personally, I take a sponge bath at the end of the day: a little Dr Bronner's Peppermint soap, warm water and a microfiber washcloth. Feels great and I'm sure it makes me more socially acceptable :)

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

In a similar vein I cut a disc from a stick of Pit Rock (UK name?) and keep it in an REI pill container – 14g – so far it has lasted three years of trips (I only take it on longer walks of a week plus).

George L Privett

@gprivett

Locale: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

Recipes – organic deodorants
    http://www.squidoo.com/homemade-deodorant-recipes

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

George: Nice link. Thanks. I'll try a small batch, not the .83 cups that recipe gives, but the same ratio using 4 tsp solid coconut oil, 3 tsp baking soda and 3 tsp arrowroot powder.

More so, I love the idea of repurposing an old chapstick tube (CLEARLY MARKED!). That's plenty for a 7-day trip, or my more common business trips, so why bring extra? Cannisters for diabetic blood-sugar test strips have tightly-fitting hinged lids and are 2-3x the volume of a chapstick but smaller than the nearly extinct 35mm film canister.

I'm not overly afraid of "chemicals" (all health-food-store products are – guess what – mixtures of chemicals), so I may just repackage some unscented Mitchum stick deodorant into a chapstick tube.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

So y'all are the 'freshies' I pass on the trail.

…Deodorant on the trail- ha, that's a good one!

Now…. how to repackage hair gel…

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

What brand deodorant is everyone using? Mine will not melt in the microwave. I packed it in a CS tube but it just breaks apart.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

I did it with Tom's of Maine deodorant and it worked well.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools