Topic

Six Moon Designs Skyscape Tents – Scout

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Six Moon Designs Skyscape Tents – Scout

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tristin A

@ttripl3

Hey ya'll. Thinking about getting the Six Moon Designs Skyscrape (Scout) tent but I'm not sure if it will be big enough for my dog and I. I'm 5'7 with a large to medium size dog. (He's about 55lbs) I am a female and quite thin, so I take up less room than "normal" but I'm just not sure with the dimensions how much of the floor space is usable. It being shaped funny and all.

But it looks like a good lightweight tent, and affordable. I'm on a college, ihavealotofdebt budget. =P

Thanks in advance for ya'lls help!

~Tris

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Depending on how much room you like for you and your dog, but I would say it is doable. I had the Trekker version and I felt like it was big enough for me (5'10" ~ 200 lbs) and my 6 year old daughter to lay beside me. We were close though. But the center of the tent is wider than the foot and especially so at the head.

Here is a write up with some pics and video that I did on mine:

http://sticksblog.com/gear/my-current-gear/shelter/six-moon-designs-skyscape-trekker/

Hope it helps.

Jason Williams

@whiskey

Locale: Middle Tennessee

If your dog is like mine, space doesn't really matter. We could be in an 8 man tent and she would still be curled up tight against my butt.

I looked at these tents pretty hard and from all the reviews I could find, I think you would be fine.

Tristin A

@ttripl3

LoL Chad, I actually read and watched your review already today, fancy that! It was extremely helpful too. Thanks for taking the time to upload it. =)

Jason, that is how my dog is. ^_- He laid on top of my feet (on top, not near. They wen't numb after an hour or so) last time we went backpacking. But ideally, I would like to get a tent that allows room for him and his own space with a little training.

Thanks for your replies, I hadn't thought until you brought it up, but I'm sure he will easily fit in the middle part. There does seem to be a lot more room there.

~Tris

Diana Nevins
    BPL Member

@artemis

Locale: Great Plains

I wouldn't want to share that particular tent with a medium-to-large dog – but Six Moon Designs has a reasonable return policy. You can always order the tent, set it up in your back yard and see for yourself just how much space it has inside, and return it if you don't think it will work out for you. So it's not a risky purchase. Just review the Six Moon Designs return policy (which is posted on their website) before you place your order and make sure you abide by it.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

My dog takes up what I call wiggle room. Even at ~55 lbs, he curls up in a ball where there's extra room.

YMMV, but I'd be fine with the Skyscape.

kevin smith

@divr6347

i don t take my dog hiking with me but i do own the skyscape scout and in my opinion i think it would be dooable my suggestion would be to pitch the scout and tie out the footbox tie out so you would have plenty of room to slide your bag all the way to the foot end of the tent if you did this you would have room for your dog
    at the head of the tent and he would be comfy in that space im 6-1 and 215 lbs and
    i have room for plenty of gear in the head end of the tent if i slide down in the footbox as much as possible so at your stats i think you would be fine with your dog in there

kevin

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

Tristin, you'll be fine. I have the Trekker and an 85 lb German Shepherd that backpacks with me when my daughter doesn't. For when my daughter is there, I just got the Lunar Duo to replace a CSUL2 – anyway, the dog and I are a very cozy fit, but we do fit no problem and I'm 5'11" 200 lbs, so as long as you don't mind him curled up next to you (which my dog prefers too) you'll be fine. Nice tent, I recommend it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools