Topic

Solo Tarptent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Solo Tarptent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Because studying for finals is boring, I finally threw the door/zipper on my tarptent project. This was my first go at a shelter, and I used Henry Shires online instructions. I added two simple modifications-
    – 106" ridgeline length (I'm 6'5")
    – 18" netting all around, so in nicer weather I can prop both sides up and increase peak height as well

I needed a solo shelter for summer in the cascades, as the only tent we currently own is a lunar duo (which I love). I wanted it to be cheap, simple, and mosquito proof. Total cost of materials was roughly 65$.

The ridgeline is a flat felled seam using a 3-step zigzag stitch, and it seems bomber. I used the 3step on all the seams, we will see how that works out with getting a taught pitch.

Weight of shelter without pegs or groundsheet- 15.8oz

I set it up in the yard to see how the interior was, and took a couple crappy cell phone pictures. It's pretty windy/rainy out so I tested out the "storm mode" pitch with the sides at the ground, and it was still pretty roomy inside.Tent1tent2

Overall I'm stoked on it. I still need to decide on how I want the side tie off points attached, and will probably put a beak on it at some point, although I'm interested to see how the netting deals with wind blown rain. With the weather we are having currently I should be able to test it out in poor conditions easily enough!

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

Looks awesome, does it have a full floor as well?

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Looks great! It will be interesting to see how it looks with the front doors/vestibules. Nice!

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Tyvek groundsheet, no sewn in floor… yet. I bought some PU coated nylon for a floor if I want to add one, which I figure I will at some point.

I'm not sure if I'll add a vestibule, probably more like a beak as its already very roomy inside. I suppose I'll know what I need after bringing it out a few times

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

Hey Ozzy,

I'm looking to build something very similar and was wondering if you would be so kind as to give the dimensions of it? I was thinking of adding silnylon doors if I can figure it out but the same idea.

Cheers and great looking setup!

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Ridgeline- 106"
    Front Seam- 86"
    Rear Seam- 46"
    Peak Height- 38" in storm mode, up to about 46" with both sides up and venting
    Floor Space- I use a 92×36" strip of tyvek (pictured), but the bathtub floor I'm making for it is 92" long, 40" width in front, down to 30" in the back, 3" height. The total width of the front door is roughly 56"

If you haven't already given it a look, check out Shire's tarptent instructions- http://thru-hiker.com/projects/tarptent.php

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools