Topic

Wind Pants not as popular as wind shirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Wind Pants not as popular as wind shirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

I have a pair of the Houdini pants and I really like them.
    I found that they are fairly tough and can work great as a base layer.
    I put them under my REI Sahara nylon hiking pants on cool windy days. They cut the wind down to nothing and add just enough warmth for those cooler days.
    Or on well maintained trails just were them over a lite wool/polypro layer.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Love them! I used to like to wear rain pants over a baselayer back in my heavyweight days…now when the weather turns chilly I use the montanes over my arcteryx tights. I used them on my JMT hike every evening and every morning, and not a scratch on them.

Of course, now that I said that………

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I tried a 2013 Houdini jacket after reading all the great reviews on BPL. I was surprised when I easily overheated when hiking in the Sierras unless it was pretty darn cold. I find that most of the time a TNF light 1/4 zip fleece at 5.75 ounces in large is more usable for me under more conditions. So I rarely take a wind shirt any more. However, I will often use my Montbell Dynamo wind pants in the mornings and evenings over my running shorts, and I have no problems with overheating. I have had durability issues from sitting on rocks, so I may try the Houdini pants next time, as they seem more durable. Over time I have learned that you have to try things on the trail yourself to see what works for you. But BPL provides a fantastic starting point for making initial choices and trying new things.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I have the Montane wind pants and have never had issues with wear, or maybe I just don't care?
    I may have a few snags/holes, but since wind pants aren't waterproof, it doesn't seem to matter and so I never noticed.

Surprisingly the backside has held up well considering how often I sit and slide on abrasive rocks and logs without a sit pad.
    It would take a lot of damage for me to want to replace them. I usually only wear them away from civilization, so don't have to worry about appearance.

Anonymous
    Inactive

the Montbell Dynamos for weight, wind resistance, and compactness. I mention wind resistance because breathability is far less important in pants than in a wind shirt, at least for me. But it is a clearly trade off. They are also surprisingly durable for such a light fabric.

Stephen Adams
    BPL Member

@stevemkedcom

Locale: Northwest

I took Montbel Dynamo wind pants on my PCT through Hike last year. Only time I used them was when I was doing my laundry and a few times at night when it got below freezing. Would not bother taking them on a through hike again but will take them on standard hiking trips with friends where there is a lot of sitting around. On the PCT I was either walking or in my sleeping bag.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Re: "I took Montbel Dynamo wind pants on my PCT…"

I would agree that windpants are better for certain conditions.
    I find them very good for those times when you are hiking in 10 day 40 to 50 degree drizzle, where rain pants are too much and no shell means hypothermia.

I probably wouldn't take them on the PCT, CDT and many other more arid trails, but the AT, VT, Long Path, … where you spend a lot of time in mist and drizzle, they would be my choice.

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools