Topic

Time for Ben to Enter 21st Century?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Time for Ben to Enter 21st Century?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

nm

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

(Wants help w/ GPS)
    1. Ability to download trails (Natl Geo?)
    2. Ability to upload my own hikes/waypoints
    3. Electronic compass and altimeter
    4. Electronic bread crumbs
    5. Compact and light weight
    6. Energy efficient
    7. Powerful and quick in securing satellite info.

Can you guys suggest some models for me to look into? Also, are electronic trail maps all pretty interchangeable, or do certain models only read certain maps? Any other "really nice to have features" I should add to my list?

Thanks in advance.

How much do you want to spend / price range? (most are $100 – $400)
    Most are 5 – 8 ounces
    Most can download maps from CD, online or other source
    Nearly all allow you to enter treks or waypoints
    Electronic compass and altimeters greatly reduce battery life and usually are found on the more expensive model
    Most last 12 – 30 hours on 2 AA batteries, depending upon battery type and your usage profile
    The CSx series from Garmin uses the SiRF III chipset. This chipset acquires satellites much faster, stays locked when others don't because of location or weak signals.

If all other things are equal and $'s are less critical, take a look at the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx and 76CSx. They are both in the 7 – 8 ounce range, and they literally do everything.

Hope that helps,
    MikeB

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Why did you erase it, Ben?
    Hey if I entered the 21st century and got a GPS, you better get one also ;-)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yeah, I was thinking about getting one, then wondering whether it's the gearoholic in me making trouble again… Say, which model did you get?

Mike, thanks for the feedback. Offhand, would a Geko 301 fit my needs?

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Mike, Ben, my Garmin etrex Vista does all that Mike mentioned, and a lot more. I am upgrading to a much more expensive model, so I will sell my Vista for 1/2 of retail,= $105. (Suggested retail is $214, you can find it new for about $156) but mine is like new. Price includes the serial connection cable and also the OEM belt case with clear window. Mine is the monochrome model (grey scale, NOT the color one).

For $20 more I will add the WORLD topo database, 'Mapsource WorldMap', a $99 value.

Add shipping to that cost depending on where you are, and please note I am in Japan. Shipping would be about $20+..
    Tomorrow I'm putting it up on GearSwap. Please PM me if you want to buy it.

This is it; maybe download and read the manual if you want to research it?
    http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVista/index.jsp

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Yes, if lightweight is paramount, that's a good choice.
    But…
    I'm not sure if it allows you to download a map.

The battery life is relatively low (Lithiums will help)
    The display is pretty small (64 x 100) and I do believe color makes a difference.

Hope that helps.
    MikeB

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Hehheh!!
    My husband got me a Garmin Foretrex 201. Tiny, small, lightweight and does everything I need, without a ton of programs I cannot understand (if I wanted that I'd use one of his two GPS's…..)
    So far it has done well, even had no battery issues at 12* outside!
    I like that I can wear it as a watch, or put it on my pack. For me, seeing a route isn't that important, more I like knowing how far I have gone, and the altitude, plus Long/Lat. I can find where I am on the map very fast.
    I am sure someday I will learn how to use the rest of it's features…around the same time I learn to use everything on the Mac laptop he bought me ;-) (Computers bore me-all I care is that electronics do what I need, the rest I don't care about!)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Brett:

I just sent an email to your Yahoo address.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Someone is selling a geko 301 for $150 on backpacking.net.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

For anybody considering a GPS with basemap capability, I urge you to consider a color screen. It's MUCH easier to sort through all the information being presented, than with monochrome.

Note also that while waypoints, routes and tracks can be shared with Topo!, Topo! basemaps won't upload to your GPS. For that you'll need the maker's own software.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools