Topic

omni tape Vs zippers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear omni tape Vs zippers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Colin Parkinson
    BPL Member

@parkinson1157

Locale: Ontario Canada

So I order the silnylon (noah lampart $3/yd) to make that awesome half pyramid tarp posted recently.

So since I have trouble sewing zippers I thought I would use the omni tape.

Got to thinking (I know a very bad idea) which lighter?

Any ideas?

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Don't know which is lighter, but the zipper is way better for a tent – it can handle a lot more tension from side to side, plus it is FAR easier to close with tension on it. The approximate ratio of swearing while installing the zipper to swearing while dealing with the omnitape on a finished tent will be on the order of 1 to 20. Zip is the way to go.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 with Paul. Tip. Get a zipper foot if you don't have one.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I just hemmed both sides (folded over twice to hide raw edge and put a row of stitches).

Then, sew on zipper with the edge of the hemmed fabric as close as possible to the zipper teeth, without overlapping them.

I ran the zipper almost all the way to the top, and then put the reinforcing peak circle of fabric over the top of the zipper. This spot is usually the most difficult to make look good.

Not too difficult.

Learning to sew on a zipper is a good skill : )

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools