Topic

Certified 900 fill down

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Certified 900 fill down

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Any pointers to where you can buy 900 fill down, or what it may cost per ounce / pound?

Thanks,
    Mike

Patti Binder
    BPL Member

@quiltbinder

Locale: Southwestern Florida

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm

it's at the bottom of the page

AYCE at Thru-Hiker has 800 fill down. If it's a quilt you want to make, he has a good deal on kits.

http://www.thru-hiker.com/MaterialDetail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MG113&subcat=Insulation

Hope this helps

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I've ordered down through Ayce,(thru-kiker) several times.
    Give him a call and ask what the last batch of down fill is.
    Ayce puts 800 fill, because you will get at least that.

Most of the time his fill order is around 830 but when he gets the 860 fill he orders more, so it will be available about 1/2 the time.

You can call 900 what-ever you want, but 100% of it will be 860.
    I don't think they have there staff picking out the few feathers that come in it to make it 900.
    In fact the down pretty much is 900 fill that you get. The few feathers you get with it are what bring it down to the 830-860 range.

Maybe that's why company's call it 900 fill. They just count the good stuff as the number and don't take anything off for the few feathers that come in it.

Ask Ayce, he'll tell you straight.
    If you want to spend more for the 900, try also ordering 3 ounces from thru-hiker to see for your self, (it's all comes from the same batch).

If you think about it, a company that claims 900 fill can save a 1/2 ounce for every 9 ounces over competitors like Western Mountaineering. So why does WM only claim 850 fill? Because they're honest.

I would take a 900 fill companies claim with as much of a grain of salt as I would there claim to keep you warm at that bags certified temperature rating.

David Eastwood

@easty

Locale: Sierra eastystravels.blogspot.com

I consistently purchase items from Ayce @ Thru-Hiker.com. His items have always been top notch. I purchased 15oz of his 800+ fill down for this quilt. I also purchased down from another source that claimed to be 850+ fill weight. I built two identical quilts and Ayce's down was the clear winner in loft. I gave the other quilt to a friend who is just getting into UL backpacking. I trust Ayce and back his products. Hope this helps.quiltphoto2quiltphoto1

mark henley

@flash582

What loft did you end up with and what temp is it good down to?

David Eastwood

@easty

Mark- I have somewhere around 3 1/2" to 4" of loft. I spent a night at Kearsarge Lake and my thermometer said 23 degree overnight low and I was fine with just Silk Weight Capeline on. Any colder and I would put on my Flight Jacket for extra protection. I have been very happy with this project and used it quite a bit last summer and fall. Cheers
    Easty

mark henley

@flash582

The quilt is georgous!

Is that Omnitape or just velcro?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

David,

I really like your quilt. The red color is great.

It is hard to beat Thru-Hikers materials.

Aaron Granda
    BPL Member

@throckmorton

That is one nice quilt. We must have more details! Is it sen through or baffled? What is the weight? I would love to try something like that but I'm not quite brave enough yet. What materials did you use? Also,are the directions available?

David Eastwood

@easty

You guys are giving me more credit than I deserve. Bill F. or Vick H. can do this stuff in their sleep! Since this is my third quilt I don't have a so called pattern. I just figured out what I wanted and went for it. I used a baffeled design with Nanoseeum mesh for the baffles and 1.1 downproof with a DWR for the top (RED) and Momentum for the inside (BLACK). For my next one I'll make it all Momentum as the fabric is the best I've ever used and its water repellency is second to none. I used standard velcro and draw cords with cord locks at each end. I wanted the capability to use it as a back country blanket hence the draw cords at each end. Total weight with spinnaker cloth stuffsack is 26oz and I figure its good to 20 degrees. This is a pretty simple MYOG project with the hardest part being filling the baffles with down and getting each baffle EVEN. I also sewed grossgrain loops that I attach my backpack compression straps to go around my sleeping pad so I don't migrate off in the night. Multi use, right?! After sleeping in it a few nights I realized I needed a snap at the top of the velcro to stop it from opening when I toss and turn in the night. After stealing an idea from Vick, I found a snap that would hold without being so big that I felt it when I slapt on it. I now works perfectly. I urge you guys to patronize Ayce at Thru-hiker.com as he helped me alot and always has great stuff instock. I've made bivys and tarps from his materials with great luck also. Check out the thread started by William Hutchinson "best all around bivy set up". Hope this helps. Thanks for the compliments.
    Eastysnap/velcro

David Eastwood

@easty

Sorry I forgot to send a photo of the grossgrain loops.
    Eastygrossgrain

Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

Hey nice quilt! i 'm making a quilt and I need a snap..where did you get yours?

Royal

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Royal,
    That type of snap is sold in most fabric stores. They are sewn on.

David Eastwood

@easty

Royal – Here is a photo of the snap packaging that I purchased at a local fabric store. The diameter is about the same as a nickel. Hope this helps.
    EastySnap Photo

Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

Thanks for the tip…I'll pick one of those up for my quilt.

ROyal

Jonathan Duckett
    BPL Member

@thunderhead

Locale: Great Smoky Mountains

What are the dimensions on your quilt? I have been considering making a quilt and will try and make a prototype out of $1.00/yard fabric to see if I can handle it. Also, do you have a picture of the footbox? I am having trouble visualizing the drawcord. Sorry, I am really new to this stuff. Thanks alot!

David Eastwood

@easty

Jonathan- Here are some photos to help you with your quilt project. Hopefully the dimensional photo shows up enough for you to read the measurements. Good Luck,
    Eastyquilt dimensionsfootbox1footbox2

Jonathan Duckett
    BPL Member

@thunderhead

Locale: Great Smoky Mountains

Thanks so much! That will help me a whole lot. Your quilt looks awesome man. I am going to make a summer quilt (summer in the Smokies doesn't get very cold) So I was considering getting 6 oz of 800 fill power down to use, and to simplify construction I am considering using sewn through baffles instead of using no-see-um and making continuous baffles. My goal is to be as close to 16 oz as possible. My 32 degree bag serves me well even though it is 38 oz (I'm a poor college student). This quilt seems like a cheap(er) alternative to buying a summer bag.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools